[OPSAWG]Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-lengths-12.txt
Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanandani@gmail.com> Fri, 05 December 2025 18:20 UTC
Return-Path: <mjethanandani@gmail.com>
X-Original-To: opsawg@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: opsawg@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8F1E596205B5 for <opsawg@mail2.ietf.org>; Fri, 5 Dec 2025 10:20:45 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.098
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.098 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_EF=-0.1, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=unavailable autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=gmail.com
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31]) by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id uCLALq1mMlG0 for <opsawg@mail2.ietf.org>; Fri, 5 Dec 2025 10:20:44 -0800 (PST)
Received: from mail-pl1-x62c.google.com (mail-pl1-x62c.google.com [IPv6:2607:f8b0:4864:20::62c]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id D979E96205AE for <opsawg@ietf.org>; Fri, 5 Dec 2025 10:20:44 -0800 (PST)
Received: by mail-pl1-x62c.google.com with SMTP id d9443c01a7336-29844c68068so33064495ad.2 for <opsawg@ietf.org>; Fri, 05 Dec 2025 10:20:44 -0800 (PST)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20230601; t=1764958838; x=1765563638; darn=ietf.org; h=references:to:cc:in-reply-to:date:subject:mime-version:message-id :from:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to; bh=b88m0intMBQAMPDT1PrRhMWtMHsK7TPXSqTSu6atxnw=; b=cs2NMlP85FRi/2E7egd8HDW4liWOyjUnuZ6EyWAeHq6+YkeqBJjH3JsT2EWS8zMXHq e9VaMlGny8cwAb4lZaLF8JcdC1a/6sJysDw2k2ddSl4sBSBYi0ngp6b38Rh3r+rVC6Uk OwAvVkTRq3oA4P4Kr0ph5iogHIiSn9Q15nw7eL1PGXJJqlxaFRTJmB0Ah3N1oWrNvbaC hmdqU4AQnJjqTvGv4G4WhJI1DWHWJmZGW3HV3P0u8A5ztDnvpQyt2J5r68OEJ0b24nA+ 4t43qrXsqMpT+Nj/6Jzp/aDkZ4ndsV0Bqrc4aE7RI+9z9LpmVAjkx/RrZttBOi/v3mTL W+2g==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1764958838; x=1765563638; h=references:to:cc:in-reply-to:date:subject:mime-version:message-id :from:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id :reply-to; bh=b88m0intMBQAMPDT1PrRhMWtMHsK7TPXSqTSu6atxnw=; b=jQvzbgou6Rj5wVj91t1ICOMJ3p21kX1xppHFD2/DuXLWKMybiJ6oNleGDrl7LTbORO Is+3Lt3j+1j3XKSXnZvdlCdgI0r3TnUSEn/W00S7VhMsJfp5fM23FzUUnoV3OlKp4qS6 88KW5LD4mwksxukkEoj5guzEP2ONvw6tdytSa4T3usqIMM987rSTMeP7vyo7e/2uzx6K RIbkzc+Js2l5HLubfAuglivk+fPzq75n6VvxmhlQH0Ec03wZKizo95jOeNKBWQ2UwHGB bhMCFOVHcNnm6J4wAoUIsOHVbBveTYkLWEBMCfR0bADGuQPnuac0MOEOcYm5ATPKNKn3 3oqQ==
X-Gm-Message-State: AOJu0YyNFagvdoWDmrcVuVeeOMTFwLjMhjNj46KV8AjJAzxhqh1eOqnv XkqBPZk56cmUORNE57oiBowAxK3oo1dgqrXzetiHB7W45EYL+so7h34+4aR73w==
X-Gm-Gg: ASbGncsKfv9dwjtuW/nB9ykaz8JZBYwgwbQrFwR+udpZDTIOSlNPa+OOCSd6A0Jg6uC Koqlxmter3JlplrtriS0J+KjSxkLf+fm3vFsDpHddDlWNTeIEFRdcp61Wm1Ozzo5pMV75CZIGHF Ah4cuZgFqRlftJN9KCI9y3IaHGJp+jo6fGezodOvszX86KO8DAahnssz5QAvS1Mu3XNuPFkeMr6 m/IJ61JTsQN12a3gCkY47Q+BZGvx4cB5NAlEit1CheWlHkHlSl9ODErLRtKXCtvzIqNBg9n4BIp 6XcbdDkEEz+/FlhvxLiu1j5VmyLKCdM8U3rwyMPuO0FLSoWGQvety80Y+i0RsbsiNiGcZkNZ62U GtrUN9P+9gcBfJKCmV7a0VZf7qnI3xswdBWJmmmOf7Xns0/3wHZQQ28xSlzzJNfiLTMlHG9e5+N 5XH6DQ1LhXPKkFq/Hydln07lhapBs0O7HNQ6L2/IS66EXS883xWGAuTQjHigKpFgDLR9E=
X-Google-Smtp-Source: AGHT+IEc5c1KtDtJZ9tjV7XxuFfAnynUh5DuMVg9OrwdQB7H6VJrQXihdu7xtfe0VRqJiuQgvpulQw==
X-Received: by 2002:a17:902:fc4f:b0:295:915d:1eed with SMTP id d9443c01a7336-29d683b2837mr116801375ad.47.1764958837598; Fri, 05 Dec 2025 10:20:37 -0800 (PST)
Received: from smtpclient.apple (c-67-180-189-3.hsd1.ca.comcast.net. [67.180.189.3]) by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id d9443c01a7336-29dae49c358sm54764145ad.5.2025.12.05.10.20.36 (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128); Fri, 05 Dec 2025 10:20:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanandani@gmail.com>
Message-Id: <E963749D-9C93-4736-9DD4-8BAEA87C5652@gmail.com>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="Apple-Mail=_0F32BD77-1BA6-4356-8064-AF83869DE7C9"
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Mac OS X Mail 16.0 \(3731.700.6.1.21\))
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2025 10:20:25 -0800
In-Reply-To: <176486212040.122022.14945847872464031351@dt-datatracker-5bd94c585b-wk4l4>
To: draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-lengths.all@ietf.org
References: <176486212040.122022.14945847872464031351@dt-datatracker-5bd94c585b-wk4l4>
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.3731.700.6.1.21)
Message-ID-Hash: X62OSHTZDZCYNNTNKFYCKXMFMEEVQYKH
X-Message-ID-Hash: X62OSHTZDZCYNNTNKFYCKXMFMEEVQYKH
X-MailFrom: mjethanandani@gmail.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency; loop; banned-address; member-moderation; header-match-opsawg.ietf.org-0; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: opsawg <opsawg@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, johnl@taugh.com, opsawg-chairs <opsawg-chairs@ietf.org>
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: [OPSAWG]Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-lengths-12.txt
List-Id: OPSA Working Group Mail List <opsawg.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/opsawg/1ETSEVRIGZdQjdFzrdbortGEFJI>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/opsawg>
List-Help: <mailto:opsawg-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:opsawg-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:opsawg@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:opsawg-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:opsawg-leave@ietf.org>
Thanks to the authors for making the changes “live”. In reviewing the changes, and the COMMENTS received, here are a few that I have not seen addressed. Eric Vyncke’s: I do not see the rephrasing to include IPv4. Was that intentional? > Section 1: > Is it really only an IPv6 issue in `prefix size for IPv6 geolocation` ? We'll rephrase this to include IPv4 as well. I am not seeing the general statement here. > > ### Section 3.2 > > Except for the first sentence, all the rest of this section appears to work > only with CGN and not proxies. Please clarify that this is also applicable to > proxies. We'll add a general statement that all statements about CGN in this document also apply to proxies. Did Russ confirm these observations? > > Why restricting to only unsigned files `When reading data from an unsigned > prefixlen file, one MUST ignore data outside the referring inetnum: object's > address range.` ? I do not see why signed files can escape this common sense > check. This is implicitly done as the signature won'T be valid for address ranges outside the address range. @Russ can you confirm this? > > ### Section 6 > > Why using an IP address range rather than the usual prefix notation used > through all this I-D in `The RPKI Signature's IP address range MUST match that > of the prefixlen URL in the inetnum: that points to the prefixlen file.` ? @Russ I defer to you on this one. Erik Kline posted this comment, but did not send it out, but I think it is not a bad idea. ### S3 * Consider possibly referencing RFC 4180 for CSV. Deb had the following COMMENTs but I have not see a response. Gorry and Roman had a similar comment. Section 6: So what is the chance that this is ever used? And if used, what is the chance that it will be done properly? [according to Section 9, para 4, 'not happening anytime soon'.] Section 9: So the choices are implement this with weak or no authentication, or with complex, stronger authentication (where the struggle will be doing it securely/properly)? Mike Bishop had a few COMMENTs as well I am not sure if I am seeing the clarification. > ### Empty fields > > Section 3 says "The first field MUST NOT be empty on lines which are not > comments, while the second and third field can be empty in certain scenarios." > However, the only instance where the second or third field can be empty is > mentioned in Section 3.3, where both are empty. > > Please consider clarifying the first statement to indicate that one empty field > is valid only when both are empty, and replace/augment the "in certain > scenarios" with a forward-reference to this one scenario. > > (Or if there are other scenarios, describe them.) The third field can also be empty in the scenario where there is exactly '1' end-site in a prefix. We will clarify that. and finally a couple of COMMENTs from Roman, for which I am not sure I see a response (on list). > > ** Section 6 > Unfortunately, the RPSL in > some repositories is weakly authenticated at best. > > What does “weakly authenticated” mean? > > ** Section 9 > If signatures were mandatory, the above attack would be stymied, but > of course that is not happening anytime soon. > > Perhaps explain the “… of course that is not happening anytime soon” by articulating “why not”. > I'll defer to @Russ Housley for the two points raised above. Will be happy to send the document for publication once these have been addressed. Thanks > On Dec 4, 2025, at 7:28 AM, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote: > > Internet-Draft draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-lengths-12.txt is now available. It is > a work item of the Operations and Management Area Working Group (OPSAWG) WG of > the IETF. > > Title: Publishing End-Site Prefix Lengths > Authors: Oliver Gasser > Randy Bush > Massimo Candela > Russ Housley > Name: draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-lengths-12.txt > Pages: 31 > Dates: 2025-12-04 > > Abstract: > > This document specifies how to augment the Routing Policy > Specification Language (RPSL) inetnum: class to refer specifically to > prefixlen files which are comma-separated values (CSV) files used to > specify end-site prefix lengths. This document also describes an > optional mechanism that uses the Resource Public Key Infrastructure > (RPKI) to authenticate the prefixlen files. > > The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is: > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-lengths/ > > There is also an HTMLized version available at: > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-lengths-12 > > A diff from the previous version is available at: > https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-lengths-12 > > Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at: > rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts > > Mahesh Jethanandani mjethanandani@gmail.com
- [OPSAWG]I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-leng… internet-drafts
- [OPSAWG]Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-… Mahesh Jethanandani
- [OPSAWG]Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-… Russ Housley
- [OPSAWG]Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-prefix-… Oliver Gasser