Re: [OPSAWG] 答复: Requirements for IP/MPLS network transmission interruption duration

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Tue, 20 March 2012 13:47 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Fan Peng <fanpeng@chinamobile.com>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, 'Christopher LILJENSTOLPE' <cdl@asgaard.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:47:54 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>, "lilianyuan@chinamobile.com" <lilianyuan@chinamobile.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] 答复: Requirements for IP/MPLS network transmission interruption duration

[WEG] I'd put it in slightly different terms.
Today, many people build IP networks to carry things that used to live directly on SONET/SDH. Those applications are sometimes designed with SONET/SDH's performance envelope in mind (sub-millisecond fault detection, 50ms restoration), and so applications expect an equivalent performance envelope from an IP network, which is costly, and starts to drive more and more complex IP networks (including things like MPLS TE).

Instead, we need to produce guidance for the application community about the typical/average and best-possible-case performance envelope for a properly designed IP network, both a network using standard IP with few optimizations, and one that employs things to improve detection, convergence, and restoration times, such as IP or MPLS FRR, or TE. The idea is that they need to design to what the network is capable of delivering, rather than the other way around. Then we can discuss the user-experience requirements for different types of applications, including voice, video, real-time web apps, etc, as well as the needs of extreme cases like the securities industry, which value low latency over all else.

Thanks

Wes George