Re: [OPSAWG] [netmod] How many "digital twins" every single network should have? Who would map between "twins"?

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Thu, 15 December 2022 08:07 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Jan Lindblad <janl@tail-f.com>
CC: "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>, Paolo Volpato <paolo.volpato@huawei.com>, Xipengxiao <xipengxiao@huawei.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 08:07:26 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.136.100.16]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [netmod] How many "digital twins" every single network should have? Who would map between "twins"?

Hi, Eduard:
Thank for bring this issue up, I think digital twins is more related to network topology model, network monitoring model rather than LxSM service delivery model or LxNM network model

First, As described in RFC8969 or RFC8309, LxSM service delivery model or LxNM network model focuses on service level abstraction and resource level abstraction respectively,  we expect Service level abstraction
Can be decomposed into network/resource level abstraction, and resource level abstraction to be translated into a bunches of device level models, but we don’t expect translation across level can be standardized in the same way.
Service mapping process, configuration translation process should play the key roles, this provide flexibility and meet requirements of various difference use cases.
Another reason is not to choose use augmentation of LxSM model is mapping service parameter into configuration parameters is not always 1 to 1 mapping, in many cases,it is N to M mapping, domain specific level controller needs to allocate additional resource level parameters. Therefore I feel augmentation is more suitable device level, but not suggested to be used in top down service mapping.
But To reduce the mapping,cost, What we consider in LxNM model design is to try to reuse many data type that are also applied to LxSM. Please refer to RFC9181

Secondly, I disagree LxNM is designed for single vendor scenarios, the reason to introduce network level model, is to address multi-vendor interoperability issue since different vendor control can be deployed in various different domain, sometime it is
IP domain, sometime it is optical domain.

Third, for service mapping, there are some other work to be developed in TEAS working group, e.g.,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-te-service-mapping-yang/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dhody-teas-ietf-network-slice-mapping/
They solve different jigsaw composing or decomposing. So you don’t need too much worry about the issue you raised.

Regarding How many "digital twins" every single network, I think you should more look into how to network topology model developed by IETF, e.g.,
Network Topology model
L3 Topology Model
L2 Topology model
DC Fabric Model
TE Topology model
L3 TE topology model., etc
To build digital twin model, I believe these topology related model are a good basis, in addition, you should get KPI data, Log Data, flow statistics data,
Alarm data, other inventory related data, correlate them with topology data to build digital twin network,
In IRTF NMRG, we have digital twin network architecture, try to build a whole picture, tackle key challenges to build digital twin network
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-nmrg-network-digital-twin-arch/
also there are many other digital twin related work in NMRG, which can be a good input to this architecture.
Hope this helps.

-Qin