Re: [OPSAWG] ICMP blackhole problem ID.

Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inria.fr> Thu, 12 July 2012 06:30 UTC

From: Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:30:42 +0200
To: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Cc: opsawg@ietf.org, Mohamed Ali Kaafar <mohamed-ali.kaafar@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] ICMP blackhole problem ID.

Hello Joel,

Thanks a lot for the pointer to the filtering draft, it's useful.

This I-D discusses with a lot of details, for each and every ICMP(v4/v6) message type, why and how
a router should filter out (or rate-limit)  this message, as well as the consequences of such rules. This
is very useful to understand some of the ICMP related policies that network administrators may deploy.

In our I-D we take the opposite standpoint. We try to understand, from the end-user point of view,
what's going on when ICMP malfunctions on a given path. This end-user tries to infer as much
information as possible (by default using only his own host, without any vantage points in the core
network), for instance to localize the router/ISP(s) that produce the problems. Whether the network
administrators have good reason to apply such filtering policies is a different matter, especially as it
can also result from configuration errors. So we think that these two documents nicely complement
each other. Do you agree with us?

In any case, thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

  The authors