[OPSAWG] FW: New Version Notification for draft-gray-sampled-streaming-00.txt

"Gray, Andrew A" <Andrew.Gray@charter.com> Mon, 05 August 2019 14:45 UTC

From: "Gray, Andrew A" <Andrew.Gray@charter.com>
To: "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 14:45:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [142.136.234.122]
Subject: [OPSAWG] FW: New Version Notification for draft-gray-sampled-streaming-00.txt

Hello opsawg,

I spoke to a number of IETF folks at IETF 105, along with Tianran and Ignas (who I thank for their feedback and suggestions), and it was decided that opsawg would be the best place to at least start the conversations about a new draft I am proposing, as detailed below.

I document several use cases in the draft, but the short version is we are wanting to standardize a method for different vendors to handle ASIC-level replication of packets, to a remote server, including any and all information that ASIC may have about the packet, along with at least part of the payload, with a configurable sampling rate and filtering capabilities.

Some things on my TODO list for it still:

1. I want to take a closer look at Flowspec rule definition, and see if that can be adequately encoded here.  It looks like the YANG model for Flowspec rules was draft-wu-idr-flowspec-yang-cfg but that has since expired.
2. I'm planning on talking at NANOG 77 in Austin with other operators to see if there's additional use cases and how much appetite there is.
3. I'm talking with a couple vendors about implementations - there is interest here about it as well.

I am sending out the -00 version of this draft and very much welcome comments and feedback.

Thanks
Andrew Gray