[OPSAWG] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-yang-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 13 December 2022 08:13 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-yang@ietf.org, opsawg-chairs@ietf.org, opsawg@ietf.org, mcr@sandelman.ca, mcr@sandelman.ca, tpauly@apple.com
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 00:13:01 -0800
Subject: [OPSAWG] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-yang-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-yang-10: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-yang/

DISCUSS:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-yang-10
CC @evyncke

Thank you for the work put into this document. A very interesting piece of work
and a well-written piece of text (even if I am balloting DISCUSS). The examples
are also helping.

Please find below some DISCUSS points (+ suggestions), some non-blocking
COMMENT points (but replies would be appreciated even if only for my own
education).

Special thanks to Michael Richardson for the shepherd's detailed write-up
including the WG consensus *but* it lacks the justification of the intended
status. It would have been nice to list the implementations (even if I know
one).

Please note that Tommy Pauly is the Internet directorate reviewer (at my
request) and you may want to consider this int-dir reviews as well when Tommy
will complete the review (no need to wait for it though):
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-yang/reviewrequest/16806/

Also, thanks to the WG chairs and the responsible AD to bundle this I-D and its
companion to the same IESG telechat: it helps a lot!

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

## DISCUSS

As noted in https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/, a
DISCUSS ballot is a request to have a discussion on the following topics:

### BCP14 template

As noted by
https://author-tools.ietf.org/api/idnits?url=https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-yang-10.txt
and Lars, the BCP14 template is not correct even if it is required for a
proposed standard (it mentions BCP13 ;-) ).

As I have further DISCUSS issues below, I am raising the trivial BCP14 issue to
a blocking DISCUSS.

### Section 3.3

To my SQL eyes, it hurts to use a -1 value for health-score when there is no
value. There is no "mandatory true" statement for this leaf, i.e., it can be
absent in the telemetry. Is there a semantic difference between the absence of
health-score and the value of -1 ? Is the SAIN collector expected to process
those 2 cases differently ?

Suggest to either remove the -1 sentinel value, or add "mandatory true"
attribute, or be specific about the difference (if any).

### Section 4

It is unclear from this section whether it applies to IETF-specified YANG
modules only? I.e., may a vendor augment this IETF YANG module in its own
namespace ? I guess so, but worth writing it (or restrict this section to
future IETF work only).

COMMENT:

## COMMENTS

### Downref

As noted by
https://author-tools.ietf.org/api/idnits?url=https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-yang-10.txt
and Lars, there is a downward reference that was not mentioned in the IETF LC.

### Lack of YANG doctors review ?

Even if one author is Mr. YANG ;-), is there a reason why there is neither a
Last Call nor a Telechat review by the YANG doctors ?

### Section 1

```
[I-D.ietf-opsawg-service-assurance-architecture] specifies an
   architecture and a set of involved components for service assurance,
   called Service Assurance for Intent-Based Networking (SAIN).
```
The SAIN architecture draft is informational, so it cannot "specify". Please
use "describes".

### Section 3.1

```
   The two subservices presented above need different sets of parameters
   to fully characterize one of their instance.  An instance of the
   device subservice is fully characterized by a single parameter
   allowing to identify the device to monitor.  For ip-connectivity
   subservice, at least the device and IP address for both ends of the
   link are needed to fully characterize an instance.
```
s/two subservices presented/two example subservices presented/

While I am not English native speaker, I wonder whether the plural form should
be used for "IP address for both ends" ?

`The dependencies are modelled as an adjacency list,` or simply `The
dependencies are modelled as a list,` ?

### Section 3.2

```
   The date of last change "assurance-graph-last-change" is read only.
   It must be updated each time the graph structure is changed by
   addition or deletion of subservices, dependencies or modification of
   their configurable attributes.
```
Is 'under-maintenance' a triggering change to update the last change time ?
Perhaps worth mentionning.

### Section 3.3

Should the under-maintenance.contact be more specified? I.e., as a URI like
phone:+12309182309 or mailto:jean@example.net ? One goal of this document
(section 1) is to be 'machine readable' ;-)

leaf health-score-weight, the use of this leaf is rather under specified.
Should it rather be a float between 0.0 and 1.0 ? I also wonder whether the
last sentence of the description applies to this leaf ?

I will let to my fellow ART AD to check whether the waiver `Therefore, no
mechanism for language tagging is needed.` is acceptable for lack of i18n
support (for me: it is ok).

### Section 5

Is a device always a 'physical' device or can it be virtual as well ?

Should there be a link to the miscellaneous 'inventory models' in OPSAWG ? If
not, should there be more information about the device, e.g., its location.

### Section 6

I am not familiar enough with YANG, but should there be some text or YANG
statement to declare the 'device' leaf in this module as a foreign key to the
device module ?

Should the interface model handle the sub-interface (e.g., a specific VLAN on a
GigEthernet interface) ?

### Appendix C

Thanks for using an IPv6 example ;)

## Notes

This review is in the ["IETF Comments" Markdown format][ICMF], You can use the
[`ietf-comments` tool][ICT] to automatically convert this review into
individual GitHub issues.

[ICMF]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments/blob/main/format.md
[ICT]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments