[OPSEC] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-opsec-indicators-of-compromise-03: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 16 January 2023 14:57 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-opsec-indicators-of-compromise@ietf.org, opsec-chairs@ietf.org, opsec@ietf.org, furry13@gmail.com, furry13@gmail.com, dthaler@microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 06:57:29 -0800
Subject: [OPSEC] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-opsec-indicators-of-compromise-03: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsec-indicators-of-compromise-03: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-indicators-of-compromise/

DISCUSS:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-opsec-indicators-of-compromise-03

CC @evyncke

Thank you for the work put into this document. It is interesting and an easy
read and so refreshing to read the British "defense" ;-) Once my DISCUSS is
cleared, I intend to ballot a YES.

Please find below one blocking DISCUSS points (easy to address), some
non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be appreciated even if only for
my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Jen Linkova for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus (always low response rate in OPSEC) *and* the justification of
the intended status.

Other thanks to Dave Thaler, the Internet directorate reviewer (at my request),
please consider this int-dir review:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-opsec-indicators-of-compromise-03-intdir-telechat-thaler-2023-01-13/
Dave has raised interesting issues in the text, notably linked to IP addresses,
that I fully second; _I have yet to read any reply from the authors_, but the
review was posted just before the week-end and we are on the blue Monday.

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

## DISCUSS

As noted in https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/, a
DISCUSS ballot is a request to have a discussion on the following topics:

### Section 3.1 no IPv6 data

I am *really* surprised to only see IPv4 addresses in the numbers, even if
today AlienVault has 7k IPv6 addresses as IoC vs. 3M IPv4 addresses. Please
include some IPv6 statistics. I appreciate that this issue does not really
comply to a DISCUSS point but it is so easy to address and I would like to
start a discussion with the authors and the AD.

COMMENT:

## COMMENTS

### What about DOTS WG

Should there be any text about the use of IoC by protocols specified in the
DOTS WG ?

### Section 1
`This draft provides best practice for implementers` while this if common
English, I find it a little weird to use "best practice" in an informational
document (as opposed to BCP). Could it be rephrased into 'provides suggestions"
to clarify ?

### Section 3.1

It took me to read the whole section to understand why it is a pyramid and not
a cursor. Unsure how to address the issue though.

Any chance to get more recent data than June 2021 ? Especially when reading
`This discrepancy warrants further research` about domain names as IoC.

### Section 4.2.1

It took me a while to understand the apparent oxymoron `commercial attack
framework`, suggest adding some words around 'for simulation and training' ?

### Section 5.1.1

I can only second Dave Thaler's review comment about the IPv4 address part; NAT
and CGN should also probably be mentioned.

### Section 5.1.2

`by using alternative DNS resolution services` should DoH be mentioned as well ?

### Section 6.1

Another reference dated 2018 ;-) any chance to get a fresh one ?

## NITS

### References location

The useful and relevant references are sometimes located at the end of a
sentence or a paragraph, which is unusual in IETF document. I am sure that the
RFC editor will either allow it or fix it ;-)

### Section 3.1

`blue team` is only used one, is it useful to introduce this term ?

### Section 3.2.3

As I am not a native English speaker, I am unsure whether "intel" is a usual
term in English (even if I understand it ;-) ).

### Section 5.1.3

`can lead to a compromise decision` the use of compromise is probably
ill-suited in an IoC document.

### Section 10

Suggest to prefix the "National" (as in NIST & NCSC) with the country to avoid
any ambiguity.

## Notes

This review is in the ["IETF Comments" Markdown format][ICMF], You can use the
[`ietf-comments` tool][ICT] to automatically convert this review into
individual GitHub issues.

[ICMF]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments/blob/main/format.md
[ICT]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments