[OPSEC] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-08: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 14 July 2021 14:21 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering@ietf.org, opsec-chairs@ietf.org, opsec@ietf.org, Éric Vyncke <evyncke@cisco.com>, evyncke@cisco.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 07:21:07 -0700
Subject: [OPSEC] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-08: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering/

COMMENT:

Hi,

Thanks for this document, it is useful to try and tame how SPs are filtering
IPv6 extension headers.

However, I did find some of this document somewhat surprising in the context of
RFC 8200, and this is perhaps just my naivety on how it is actually deployed:

My reading on RFC 8200 extension headers can be summarized as:
 - Hop by hop options default to being off unless you enable them.
 - Other extension headers only have relevance once the packet reaches the
 destination node, and hence I would have thought that all transit nodes should
 by default just ignore them.

Given that this document is specifically only for transit nodes where the
packets are not destined to them, I was expecting a summary along the lines of:
 - Ignore hop by hop options unless they protocols in the transmit domain are
 making use of them. - Allow, and ignore, all other extension headers.  Maybe
 filter RH types 0 and 1 because they should not be used, but even this
 processing could be left until the destination node.

My slight fear with the current draft is that it makes this all seem very
complicated and protocol specific which possibly might encourage ISPs to just
drop all packets using EHs.

Regards,
Rob