Re: [OPSEC] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kumari-blackhole-urpf-00.txt

"Smith, Donald" <Donald.Smith@qwest.com> Thu, 18 September 2008 19:46 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:46:36 -0600
From: "Smith, Donald" <Donald.Smith@qwest.com>
To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kumari-blackhole-urpf-00.txt
Sender: opsec-bounces@ietf.org

Security through obscurity WORKS against some worms and ssh attacks:)
Donald.Smith@qwest.com giac

That sounds good. 666 is a fairly commonly used community for that.

>I DID try figuring out how to word this in the doc, but,
> well...
>

> > The cisco and juniper examples only covers destination based RTBH
> > filtering no urpf statements are included and therefore source based
> > RTBH is not provided by the example configs. That may have been the
> > intention of the authors but it wasn't what I expected.
>
> Yeah, I was going to put in multiple examples, one for destination,
> then one for source, but apparently got sidetracked  -- I'll try fix
> this...

If you just add the loose mode (and feasible vs active paths for junos
maybe?) that should be enough.

> > Does this imply that strict mode urpf can't be used for source based
> > RTBH?
> >

> Nope, not at all... I was a little wary of suggesting strict mode
> because, all to often I have seen the "Oooh, a config
> snippet, let me
> paste it onto all of our routers without understanding it..."
> syndrome
> -- I didn't want to get grumpy emails asking why I suggested that :-)
>
> > "In loose mode some vendors also verify that the destination route
> >   does not point to a discard interface."
> > If so going from strict mode to loose to support source
> based RTBH has
> > some serious security implications.

How about:
"In strict or loose mode some vendors also verify that the destination
route does
not point to a discard interface."

That way you can leave strict mode out of the config sample but others
won't wonder if strict mode would work with uppf for src based RTBHF.