Re: [OPSEC] Comments on draft-dugal-opsec-protect-control-plane-02

"Smith, Donald" <Donald.Smith@qwest.com> Fri, 09 April 2010 19:42 UTC

From: "Smith, Donald" <Donald.Smith@qwest.com>
To: 'Ron Bonica' <rbonica@juniper.net>, 'Danny McPherson' <danny@tcb.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 13:35:30 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] Comments on draft-dugal-opsec-protect-control-plane-02

(coffee != sleep) & (!coffee == sleep)
Donald.Smith@qwest.com gcia

+1

> > One substantive item is that I believe it needs to be a lot
> > more detailed on IPv6 examples, in particular as they relate
> > to ICMP.  This is where lots of operators really need extra
> > guidance today.
>
> I would like to suggest a sequel document specifically for
> operators who
> are deploying dual stack. There are enough sharp edges in dual stack
> deployment that it deserves some thought.
>

> > Also, it should be clear about how transit traffic with TTL
> > expiry isn't necessarily addressed to the device, but might get
> > punted to the control plane.  There is some text that touches
> > on this, but this issue is not clear from the text.

"The treatment of exception traffic in the forwarding plane, and the
   generation of specific messages by the control plane also requires
   protection from a DoS attack.  Specifically, the generation of ICMP
   Unreachable messages by the control plane needs to be rate-limited,
   either implicitly within the router's architecture or explicitly
   through configuration.  See Section 4.3.2.8 of [RFC1812].
   For example, rate limiting the TTL / Hop Limit expired
   traffic before sending the packets to the control plane component
   that will send the ICMP error, and distributing the sending of ICMP
   errors in a Line Card CPU are protection mechanisms that deter
   attacks before a rate limited in the main control plane component."

When some vendors moved the TTL expired work to the line cards they created a really fast reflective attack surface which we have seen used in DDOS attacks:(

Also explicit ratelimits are always better then implicit:)