Market acceptance of X.500

Rob Dickinson <robd@taligent.com> Sat, 08 August 1992 14:08 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1992 13:27:14 -0800
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
From: Rob Dickinson <robd@taligent.com>
Subject: Market acceptance of X.500

Does anyone have any information on the possible market acceptance of X.500
in industry?  I am wondering if anyone has any information as to how many
companies are already pursuing an X.500-based strategy and how many are
planning to do so in the next 2 to 3 years.

I am also curious about who is (or will be) the major suppliers of X.500
servers and software.  I have obtained (possibly through this distribution)
a catalog of X.500 implementations, but have no idea of the relative
success or acceptance of any of these.

I am also curious if people have any information or recommendations
regarding the quality of specific X.500 providers.  I am interested in both
shipping server software and source code implementation.

I apologize if this query is directed to the wrong forum, and would be glad
for pointers to the right one if that is the case.

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions.

Rob

-- Rob Dickinson

nothing"
         --  Edmund Burke