Ths Simple OSI Stack (OSI-DS 31)

Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.uk> Sat, 07 March 1992 21:29 UTC

To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
cc: internet-drafts@nri.reston.va.us
Subject: Ths Simple OSI Stack (OSI-DS 31)
Phone: +44-71-380-7294
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1992 17:59:26 +0000
From: Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.uk>

This is for the discussion on lightweight directory protocols.  I hope to
discus both SOS, and the three SOS-based directory protocols I propose in
the appendices.

I'm submitting this as an I-D, as it has wider scope.

Steve

OSI-DS 31
osi-ds-31-00.ps
osi-ds-31-00.txt
        The Simple OSI Stack
        S.E. Hardcastle-Kille
        March 992
        Abstract:
This document specifies a mapping of protocols defined by the Abstract
Service Description Conventions onto Connection Oriented Transport
Service, Connectionless Transport Service, TCP, and UDP [MHS88b].
This mapping will support all ROS (Remote Operation Service) based
protocols, such as directory, both with and without use of RTS
(Reliable Transfer Service), and all of the X.400 services
[ISO88, CCI88, MHS88a].

Four example applications of the Simple OSI Stack (SOS) are given in
appendices.  These are all ``real'' examples, which will are quite
likely to evolve into formal specifications.  They are intended to
show that specification of SOS applications is very straightforward
and useful.  These examples will be dropped from future versions of
this document, and perhaps be replaced by artificial examples.

The following topics  may be obtained from the info-server
using a request in the form:
        request: osi-ds
        topic: <one of topics the below>

For example: