Any More Comments? -- Re: draft-stef-a=internet-00.txt -=- Thu Sep 17 00:18:50 PDT 1992

Alf Hansen <Alf.Hansen@delab.sintef.no> Tue, 13 October 1992 14:45 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1992 09:13:27 +0000
X400-Originator: cargille@cs.wisc.edu
X400-Recipients: non-disclosure:;
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=XNREN/ADMD= /C=US/; mhs-relay..468:13.09.92.14.13.27]
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.NRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Alf Hansen <Alf.Hansen@delab.sintef.no>
To: ietf-osi-x400ops <ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu>
Subject: Any More Comments? -- Re: draft-stef-a=internet-00.txt -=- Thu Sep 17 00:18:50 PDT 1992

> I will try by next week to complete a revision edit to incorporate
> (account for) all the comments received so far.  These especially
> include the opening up to allow PRMD names to be anything other than a
> match for certain DNS names (see the discussion mail), etc.

I think this change is good. My posision has always been that a name is a
name for something. PRMD=xxx says that xxx is a PRMD, and does what a PRMD
should do. I think PRMD=cs.wisc; is not a good idea, because cs.wisc is
not a PRMD (cs.wisc is in this context just an example of any Internet
domain..).

> Also, does anyone have any ideas for development of operating rules
> for A=INTERNET?  If not, I will attempt sometime soon to draft
> something that will give us a point of departure for discussion and
> development.

Do you mean C=us; ADMD=Internet;? Or do you mean to lay out some
rules for ADMD=Internet in every country?

This is from the top of my head:

C=us;ADMD=Internet will:

 - Operate at least one common RFC 1148 gateway for its PRMDs and Os
 - Provide connectivity to all other ADMDs in the world, either by
     * negotiating agreements directly with each of them or
     * let another "friendly" ADMD act as a relay to everybody else or
     * something in between
 - Register unique PRMD names under C=us;ADMD=Internet
 - Make sure that X.400/RFC1148 address mapping is defined properly
   for ADMD=Internet
 - Operate an info server for ADMD=Internet reachable from the whole
   Internet, including X.400
 - Produce statistics
 - Operate help-desk for PRMD managers
 - Make sure that all PRMDs (or Os) under ADMD=Internet are interconnected
 - Develop operational routines
 -
 - ..
 - In the U.S., do some of the things that the COSINE MHS Project team
   is doing in Europe.

Cheers,
Alf H.