Re: unavailable X.400 routing entries in the COSINE-MHS community

Ignacio Martinez <martinez@rediris.es> Thu, 18 March 1993 09:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1993 03:25:38 +0000
X400-Originator: cargille@cs.wisc.edu
X400-Recipients: non-disclosure:;
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=XNREN/ADMD= /C=US/; mhs-relay..740:18.02.93.09.25.38]
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Ignacio Martinez <martinez@rediris.es>
To: Urs Eppenberger <Eppenberger@switch.ch>
Cc: rd-mhs-managers <rd-mhs-managers@chx400.switch.ch>, ietf-osi-x400ops <ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: unavailable X.400 routing entries in the COSINE-MHS community

> Problem statement:
>   There are at least two ways for non routable X.400 addresses to creep
>   into our network:
>   - on secondary recipient fields
>   - as result of mapping
>   This is increasingly hampering our service!

Another formulation of the problem:
  * Mapping tables are universal in scope (open to all MHS communites)
  * Domain tables are restricted in scope (restricted to *our* MHS community)

If we want to have coherent routing on the X.400 side (at least a route for
every single address) then we can either

  a) Limit the mapping tables to our community
  b) Incorporate information about other MHS communities into the domain tables

Choosing (b) (the right thing) only requires that a representative per country
describes which other domains (in the form of C=xx; ADMD=yyyy;) he knows to
exist in his/her country and which is the method of access (either through
ADMD-backbone or Internet-gateway relaying).
For an example, see the ES.IRIS domain document.

Ignacio