RE: [Ospf-wireless-design] Re: consensus

"Joe Macker" <joseph.macker@nrl.navy.mil> Fri, 04 November 2005 18:30 UTC

From: Joe Macker <joseph.macker@nrl.navy.mil>
To: 'Emmanuel Baccelli' <Emmanuel.Baccelli@inria.fr>, ospf-wireless-design@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Ospf-wireless-design] Re: consensus
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:30:09 -0500
Cc: 'Brian Adamson' <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil>, 'Justin Dean' <jdean@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
Sender: ospf-wireless-design-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Emmanuel:

You have some interesting thoughts on analysis specifics and perhaps some of
this should taken to the manet-dt list if we talk about flooding
effectiveness, especially fragility as you mention.

I have been leaning towards adjacency reduction as a key factor for
OSPF-MANET work, but as I have mentioned we have ongoing work looking at
flooding optimizations only in the context of SMF.  Adjacency reduction and
flooding effectiveness can be different subjects.

See draft-ietf-manet-smf-01. We have been examining several CDS algorithms
for this purpose. including modifications of ones being considered in
manet-ospf.  There is some common ground here between ongoing manet SMF work
and OSPF-manet.  However, in the routing control plane adjacency reduction
is a scalability winner and I think that has been an appropriate area of
concentration.  If there is a significant win in the flooding effectivenesss
by protocol A vs. B (when mobile), I think that should be pointed out. So
far we see similar performance between several algorithms considered when
looing at packets delivered vs. packet sent in a variety of mobile
scenarios.

Justin Dean has done some analysis, both analytical and mobile simulation of
CF,MPR, MPR-CDS (shared set), MDR (without redundant sets).  He will be in
Vancouver and could talk off-line about some of what he has done.

-Joe