Re: OSPFv3 fwd'ing address

Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM> Thu, 04 August 2005 13:53 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 09:53:23 -0400
From: Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM>
Subject: Re: OSPFv3 fwd'ing address
Comments: To: Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com>
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Alex Zinin wrote:

>Acee,
>

>>>2) Forwarding address in AS-external-LSA. In IPv4, the next hop
>>>address of a route can be any unicast address. In IPv6, the next hop
>>>of a route must be link-local address (RFC 2461, section 8). This
>>>requirement causes two problems: - OSPF cannot determine a global
>>>address of a neighboring router. The next hop of a route is a
>>>link-local address and OSPF must use a global address for the
>>>forwarding address in AS-external-LSA. - If a forwarding address is
>>>set in AS-external-LSA, a router connected to a common link with the
>>>router advertised in the forwarding address has to translate the
>>>forwarding address (global) to the next hop address (link- local). But
>>>the router does not have data to make translation.
>>>

>>Right - as I stated at the meeting, we will NEVER use a link-local
>>address as a forwarding address.
>>

>That's not the case above, though. In the following scenario:
>
>        [R3]
>   ------------
>    |        |
>   [R1]     [R2]
>
> R1 originates an ASE with R3's global address GA1 as the fwd addr. When R2
> calculates its route, it will have to translate GA1 to some link-local
> next-hop LA1, but it has no info in OSPF for this.

Ok - let's say R3 is in a different routing domain and R1's OSPFv3 does
go through some
measure (possibly extraordinary) to determine a valid global address for
R3's associated
interface and assure the address is associated with a global prefix
advertised internal to
OSPFv3. R2 would also have to determine the prefix is directly connected
(a route lookup)
and then go to neighbor discovery to map the global address to the
link-local address.  I
can thnk of other solutions but they would require more information
advertised with the
forwarding address.

Thanks,
Acee