Re: draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-auth-06.txt Ready for IESG review

Mukesh Gupta <Mukesh.K.Gupta@NOKIA.COM> Mon, 10 January 2005 06:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:39:26 -0600
From: Mukesh Gupta <Mukesh.K.Gupta@NOKIA.COM>
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-auth-06.txt Ready for IESG review
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Acee,

Vishwas is right.  I don't think we can mandate a specific algorithm
in the draft and not have to update it in future.

What about we say something like..

====
This specification does not mandate specific encryption and
authentication algorithms because the recommendation for encryption
and authentication algorithms changes with time as the algorithms
are broken and more secure algorithms are invented.

In order to interoperate with each other, the implementations have
to have at least one common algorithm that the user can choose to
use for OSPFv3 security.

The implementation MUST allow the user to choose all the encryption
and authentication algorithm that are MUST in IPsec mandatory to
implement algorithms.

The implementation SHOULD allow the user to choose all the encryption
and authentication algorithm that are SHOULD in IPsec mandatory to
implement algorithms.
====

Regards
Mukesh