Re: Question on OSPF virtual-links computed via a router with in RFC-3137 "overload"

Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET> Fri, 30 July 2004 23:03 UTC

Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:04:53 -0700
From: Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: Question on OSPF virtual-links computed via a router with in RFC-3137 "overload"
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Group,

        My two cents..

        The level of "overload" is adjustable by
        adjusting the cost of the advertised route.
        This way some routers may use the route as
        as preferred even when another is available.

        If a router is OVERLOADED, it is concieveable
        that the former may be the alternative. If it
        is, then link could be advertised with MAXAGE
        for the duration of the overload, and be
        re-advertised after some period of time that
        the overload state is no longer present. The
        delay should minimize the route flapping, and
        the delay should each time the route is pre-aged
        or its cost adjusted due to overload.

        Please realize that each time that the route is
        re-advertised, minimally their is overhead resources
        that will be consumed by the other routers, and thus
        routers should protect themselves from routes that are
        repeatedly being re-advertised.

        Mitchell Erblich