Re: draft..-congest-control-01.txt : oob-resync++

Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET> Thu, 09 May 2002 16:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 09:18:12 -0700
From: Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: draft..-congest-control-01.txt : oob-resync++
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

Just followup within section F, and three more nits..
Lets assume in some implimentations that RED (Random Early Discard)
drops protocol and data packets...

* Not all OSPF routers will initially support your new signaling / ECN
  (?Explicit Congestion Notification)

Internal nit...
Why don't you mention the term ECN in this draft? I think there
is a good paper by Sally Floyd in this area.. Alas, I think it
is directed towards TCP/IP...

* 4.1.3 Assumes that hellos are lost or significantly delayed. Assuming
the former they are then lost, then they are lost at transmission or
upon reception and are not retranmitted. Isn't this a form of RED?
And they are not re-xmit'ed based on missing acks :-) ..

* You implicitly specify the possibility of dropping of Database
Description LSPs, when you Throttle Link Adjs in 4.1.1..?
 Isn't this a form of RED?

So, my question should there be a section on what to do before
you start sending your low congestion notification? Like RED.

NIT...
In 4.2.1 you mention "medium congestion", where as your signaling
only speaks of heavy/high and low congestion signaling.. Did
you mean "avoid flapping of a router between high and low
congestion"?

NIT2...
4.2.1 : For consistency sake, should "heavy" be changed to "high"?

Statements:
Its very difficult to determine the exact
crossover point between high and low congestion.

Whether the sustaining of high congestion is eqivalent to TCPs
congestion avoidance code via the High_Congestion_Interval..

Should there be a Low_Congestion_Interval?
    If so,  whether this would be the eqivalent to TCPs slow start
    phase?

Mitchell Erblich