Re: draft-ietf-ospf-cap-04.txt

Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM> Thu, 06 January 2005 12:24 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:24:37 -0500
From: Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM>
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ospf-cap-04.txt
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Hi Vivek,
See inline.

Vivek Dubey wrote:

> Hi Acee,
> Sorry for delayed response.
>
> My thoughts:
> - Save OSPF capabilities (TLV 1), other capabilities/TLV (like TLV 2
>   etc), mostly would be opaque to OSPF, i.e depending on required
>   distribution in routing domain, how they are distributed (OSPF
>   flooding scopes)is decided. Dont see why for such TLVs content be
>   affected by flooding scope.

In most cases they will. However, we want to allow for situations
where a capability is enabled in one area but not another.

>   That is, taking TLV or sub-tlv, for a particular router,
>   it should represent consistent view across different flooding
>   scopes.
>
> 1)Router X is connected to Router A(through normal Areas - A1 and A2)
>
>   Assume there is TLV TV1 (opaque to OSPF), having bits (B1, B2)
>   representing different capabilities.
>
>   Router A capabilities flooded (based on policy/configuration):
>   Area A1 (Type 10): TV1 - Bits(1,0)
>   Area A2 (Type 10): TV1 - Bits(0,1)
>
>   Now at Router X, one will maintain some kind of centalized database
>   for advertised opaque capabilities of Router A (these should not be
>   associated with OSPF AREA as TLV itself is opaque to OSPF).
>
>   Router X database: Router A Capability: TV1 (1,1)
>
>   Dont see any benefit of having different TLV contents in different
>   areas in such cases.

If the function corresponding to the capability is also scoped at the
area level,
then it makes sense to only advertise it at that level. I could add a
sentence to
that effect.

> 2)Router A capabilities flooded (based on policy/configuration):
>   Area A1 (Type 10): TV1 - Bits(1,0)
>   Area A2 (Type 10): TV1 - Bits(0,1)
>
>   Router X database: Router A Capability: TV1 (1,1)
>
>   Next Area A1 adjacency is lost between Router A and Router X.
>   Resulting in flushing of RI OPQ LSA in that area.

LSAs aren't flushed when an adjacency goes down but it
shouldn't be used if the corresponding router is unreachable.
Eventually, it will age out.

>   What should than Router X database contain ???
>
>   Router X database: Router A Capability: TV1 (1,1)
>     OR
>   Router X database: Router A Capability: TV1 (0,1)

Router X's area A2 database will contain the latter. The capability
LSA for Router A in area A1 database is no longer applicable since
Router A is unreachable.