Re: [OSPF] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4552 (2599)

"Obrien, John W" <john.w.obrien@lmco.com> Wed, 03 November 2010 16:29 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:29:44 -0400
From: "Obrien, John W" <john.w.obrien@lmco.com>
To: "ospf@ietf.org" <ospf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4552 (2599)

[My original reply was rejected by the list. Resent for posterity now that I've subscribed.]

Vishwas,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I do not dispute that ESP provides authentication as well, but I don't believe that fact invalidates this errata. My stated rationale still holds, does it not? If an implementation desires to provide authentication without also providing confidentiality (as is permitted by 4552), AH alone can perform that function. Furthermore, AH authenticates more of the packet than does ESP. What is the rationale, therefore, for attaching the stronger "MUST" to ESP and the weaker "MAY" to AH in Section 3, Authentication?

The errata may be invalid because the authors' intention is to mandate ESP support in all cases, regardless of the line of thought above, which I accept. That would mean that my comment against the specification should be submitted and discussed in a different forum.

Regards,
John