Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol

"Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 14 August 2008 19:29 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:28:57 -0500
From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk
Cc: "p2pi@ietf.org" <p2pi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

Bob Briscoe wrote:
> I want the charter to acknowledge the same old point I started with at
> the mic and on the list:
> - that unconditional localisation will not be sufficient for /any/ ISP,

Bob: It is my belief that the post-BoF charter acknowledges this
(please see http://alto.tilab.com/docs/charter.txt).  That said ...

> so the parameters that the ALTO service will have to gather are more
> than just the static ones: topology and policies

I think that which parameters to gather will turn out to be an
interesting topic to nail down.  Enrico had sent an email out
last week to try and gather this information; there was
some discussion and the issue got sidetracked.  So, I'd like to
refocus on that issue.

At present, we have the following discrete pieces of information
mentioned in the post-BoF charter:

   (1) Routing preferences
   (2) Priority values
   (3) AS numbers
   (4) Geographic location

Add to this the two more:

   (5) Policies
   (6) Topology

1, 2, and 5 are something that the network operator is in possession
of.  3 and 4 can be gleaned in some manner (probably not using
any standardized APIs but well known services, nonetheless.)  6
can be provided by the network operator or approximated using
synthetic coordinate systems and the like.

Information that has been deemed out of scope based on list
discussion is:

   (1) Last hop bandwidth (reason: too much uncertainty -- are we
   talking about upload or download bandwidth?  Provisioned band-
   width or current snapshot?  User privacy concerns, ISP marketing
   concerns, etc.  In short, while this is a good research problem,
   it may not be a good piece of information to be provided by
   ALTO.)

What other sort of information should be a focus of ALTO?

Thanks,

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
2701 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9F-546, Lisle, Illinois 60532 (USA)