Re: [P2PSIP] Review of draft-ietf-p2psip-sip-06

Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org> Mon, 14 November 2011 18:11 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 02:11:06 +0800
From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Review of draft-ietf-p2psip-sip-06

No response to this review, but I have an additional comment on this draft:

11. Section 3

"Note that these rules permit Alice to forward calls to Bob without
 his permission.  However, they do not permit Alice to forward Bob's
 calls to her."

One way to allow Alice to forward Bob's calls to her (or someone else) in a
secure way is to use the access control policy defined in
draft-knauf-p2psip-share.  With -sip-06, only the owner of the certificate can
store a SIP-REGISTRATION, that we can represent like this:

Resource     Kind   Node-ID       URI              signer
bob@c.com------1--->0x12345678--->sip:bob@m.com    bob@c.com

What Share can bring here is the possibility to have an authorized third-party
modifying the SIP registration:

Resource     Kind   Node-ID       URI              signer
bob@c.com----1001-->0x12345678--->sip:bob@c.com    bob@c.com

Resource     Kind   Index        ACL                     signer
bob@c.com-----18--->0x56780001-->bob@c.com   1001 true   bob@c.com
bob@c.com-----18--->0x56780002-->alice@c.com 1001 false  bob@c.com

Here Bob (the boss) delegates to Alice (his assistant[1]) the right to modify
its registration, so Alice can now change it:

Resource     Kind   Node-ID       URI              signer
bob@c.com----1001-->0x12345678--->sip:alice@m.com  alice@c.com

One problem is that we cannot reuse the Kind 1 (SIP), because it is already
bound to USER-NODE-MATCH, so we have to create a new kind (1001) that is bound
to USER-CHAIN-ACL.  Unfortunately I do not see an easy solution to use the
original Kind (1) with USER-CHAIN-ACL.

I would suggest to add an informative reference to draft-p2psip-knauf-share, and
to add a similar example in an appendix.

[1] For the record, the example I sent to the Share authors had Alice as the
boss, and Bob as her assistant, but I had to invert the example to match the
text in -sip.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: marc@petit-huguenin.org