Re: [P2PSIP] [OPSAWG] We have submitted a drafts on SNMP usages for P2P networks. We would like to get some suggestions from SNMP experts on the scenario and design for P2P network management. The link to the draft is in the body of this email. thanks!

peng.yonglin@zte.com.cn Fri, 08 July 2011 03:37 UTC

To: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
From: peng.yonglin@zte.com.cn
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 11:36:26 +0800
Cc: p2psip@ietf.org, hao.zhenwu@zte.com.cn, meng.yu@zte.com.cn, opsawg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] [OPSAWG] We have submitted a drafts on SNMP usages for P2P networks. We would like to get some suggestions from SNMP experts on the scenario and design for P2P network management. The link to the draft is in the body of this email. thanks!

Hi, thank you for your suggestions very much.

The way of notification is the same as SNMP, which is implemented by Trap.

Our security considations are as follows:
There are three solutions to the security problem in SNMP Usage for
RELOAD. The first option is shared key based solution, which is SNMPv3
security solution (USM). The second option is PKI based security solution,
which is to use the certificate of RELOAD to authenticate and encrypt the
SNMP messages. The third option is DTLS based security solution, which
uses the secure DTLS links to transfer the SNMP message.
The second and third options aren’t supported by current SNMP manager and
agent, and need large changes. So we recommend the first option. But it’s
difficult to distribute securely the keys to large numbers of agents in
the SNMP security solution. In this document, we distribute the key to
each agent by the certificate mechanism of RELOAD.

邮 件:peng.yonglin@zte.com.cn
内 线:81543
外 线:025-52871543
手 机:13776637274
传 真:025-52872187

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
发件人:  opsawg-bounces@ietf.org
2011-06-10 01:16

收件人
<opsawg@ietf.org>
抄送

主题
Re: [OPSAWG]    We have submitted a drafts on SNMP usages for P2P
networks. We would like to get some suggestions from SNMP experts on the
scenario and design for P2P network management. The link to the draft is
in the body of this email. thanks!

Hi -

Skimming the draft, it was unclear to me how a few details would work
in this approach.  I think it would be helpful to explicitly talk about
  (1) how notifications are intended to work
  (2) key provisioning (indeed, provisioning in general)
  (3) what security model is in use

I *think* it might be helpful to treat this as a new transport
model, but you'll need to think through just how authentication
and privacy are to be handled (e.g., is it just USM atop RELOAD,
or does RELOAD provide the security services?).  This decision
may interract with how, for example, notification and Disman
targets are configured.  In particular, consider whether you need
to support the case where only *some* of the SNMP interractions
between two systems are carried via RELOAD.

Randy