[p2p-sip] Some comments on Use-cases document

sathya at research.panasonic.com (Sathya Narayanan) Tue, 21 March 2006 22:16 UTC

From: "sathya at research.panasonic.com"
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:16:45 -0500
Subject: [p2p-sip] Some comments on Use-cases document

Hi Bruce -

Let me re-iterate what I said earlier - I am not against the idea of using SIP for the overlay layer YET. But ...

> A proposal to use something else needs to:
> - explain what the shortcomings of SIP are for this purpose
> - explain how a new or different solution will provide equivalent
> functionality- explain how/why the new protocol will be better after resolving the
> complexities that SIP has become so complex to address
> - make a convincing enough case to justify deploying devices (and we're frequently talking about very small devices) to implement two
> separate protocol stacks.

I don't agree with the above statement. It is  not clear to me why it is the burden of somebody proposing the design non-SIP protocol to justify it. In my mind, its as much the responsibility of somebody proposing the use of SIP to justify such an use. Even more so, because there is no disagreement on the need for a overlay protocol,  the disagreement is whether SIP fits the bill SO well that it can be used with minimal changes. Ofcourse, draft-bryan is a starting point for such an idea, but obviously it leaves many open issues which worries me that we may regret the choice later. With a new protocol we have better freedom to make any necessary design choices without having worry about affecting SIP.

thanks,
Sathya