Re: [P2PSIP] 回复 :Re: Random resource probe

"Henry Sinnreich" <hsinnrei@adobe.com> Thu, 13 March 2008 10:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:02:00 -0700
From: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>
To: jiangxingfeng 36340 <jiang.x.f@huawei.com>, Bruce Lowekamp <lowekamp@sipeerior.com>
Cc: Victor Pascual ?vila <victor.pascuala@upf.edu>, p2psip@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] 回复 :Re: Random resource probe
Sender: p2psip-bounces@ietf.org

Discussing <draft-jiang-p2psip-sep-01> is a welcome opportunity to freshen up on DHT and application layer (SIP) techniques such as:

1. Routing around congested or invisible nodes. This happens in the DHT layer and is amply documented. Please remember we want to keep the SIP and DHT layers neatly separated.

2. Advertising and retrieval of classes of data such as resources/services: SIP proxies, NAT traversal helpers that can do STUN and maybe some flavors of ICE, NICE, D-ICE :-), plus some relaying or (perish the thought) tunneling. There may be other such as buddy lists and voice mail.
We would do well in the WG to define data types and classes to facilitate faster retrieval (how?; range searches for coded data types?).

These topics have also been treated fairly well in: <draft-baset-p2psip-p2pp-01> and earlier in <draft-singh-p2p-sip-01>.

Questions:

- Is storage and retrieval of data classes relevant to SIP _generic and independent of the various P2PSIP proposals_?

- What are the common concepts in the three I-Ds that can be adopted by the WG, irrespective of the P2PSIP protocol choice?

I am not sure if there is time to discuss this on Friday, but we can discuss on the list.
Last, but not least, we need some step by step examples and message flows for such cases as discovering nearby SIP proxies and say nearby STUN and relay capable peers.

What do you think?

Henry