Re: [P2PSIP] Peer protocol, DHT and running code

Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org> Wed, 20 June 2007 09:20 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:20:48 +0200
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org>
To: "Krishna Sankar (ksankar)" <ksankar@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Peer protocol, DHT and running code

Hello Krishna,

Krishna Sankar (ksankar) wrote:
> a)    Enrico, are you using XPP to achieve reliable UDP ?

Reliability is only one of the transport features that we'd need in an
overlay maintenance protocol. We'd also like to be able to turn it off,
make it handle fragmentation and remain as light as possible in the same
time.

> b)    Did you consider SCTP ? Any glaring problems ?

SCTP has a lot of functionality that we don't need, such as: recording
paths, transporting multiple flows simultaneously, etc. Then, I am also
wondering how many of the existing NATs and firewalls would let it pass.

> c)    Knowing that TCP is very well optimized in all the devices incl
> the NICs, why should we explore XPP/RDP et al ?

You may want to have a look at Enrico's reply to Philip, but here's a
summary: We need it to behave as well as possible behind NATs. We'd like
to be able to turn reliability off. We'd like it to remain a light and
easy to implement solution.

> d)    What is our goal ?

First, make sure that it would work in as many cases as possible. In
other words we'd like to handle any NAT or firewall that would let UDP
pass through.

Second, keep it as lite and easy to implement as possible.

Cheers
Emil