Re: [P2PSIP] new draft: draft-zangrilli-p2psip-whysip-00

"Eric Cooper" <eric_d_cooper@sympatico.ca> Thu, 15 March 2007 16:40 UTC

From: Eric Cooper <eric_d_cooper@sympatico.ca>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, 'Dean Willis' <dean.willis@softarmor.com>, 'Bruce Lowekamp' <lowekamp@sipeerior.com>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] new draft: draft-zangrilli-p2psip-whysip-00
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:40:05 -0400

I believe this draft is proposing that SIP is a good choice for the Peer protocol.  Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it says anything about the Client protocol (or even if Clients exist).  I'm using the term "Clients" as described in the concepts draft.

SIP may have a bunch of baggage that people would like to deprecate and perhaps we could leave some of it out if/when SIP is used as a Peer protocol (I'm thinking UDP support), but I don't know that we can do anything about early media.  Media is not really what the peer protocol is about.  It's about user/resource location.

It sounds like you're interested in SIP 3.0, but I don't think this WG is really the vehicle for that, since our charter says that "Session management, messaging, and presence functions are performed using conventional SIP".

I do think it would be great if we could get existing 3261 UAs to access the user/resource location service of P2PSIP.  We could do this by

1) coupling a P2PSIP Peer with a 3261 Proxy/Registrar; and/or
2) adding a P2PSIP Client to an existing 3261 UA.

I personally prefer option 1, but even if we select option 2, *and* we decide that SIP is a good P2PSIP Client protocol, that doesn't mean that we can do anything about the 3261 usage of SIP for making VoIP calls.  Note that it's possible to select option 2 without using SIP as the Client protocol.  I believe http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sip/draft-singh-p2p-sip-01.txt proposes something like option 2.  In this case, would you and Dean also advocate changes to SIP?

Best Regards,

Eric.