Re: [Pana] Preliminary pana-pana draft (13a)

Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com> Thu, 30 November 2006 16:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:14:43 -0500
From: Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
Subject: Re: [Pana] Preliminary pana-pana draft (13a)
To: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>
Cc: 'Yoshihiro Ohba' <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>, pana@ietf.org

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 05:43:48PM +0200, Alper Yegin wrote:

> Yoshi,
>
> Thanks a lot for the revision.
>
> Here I have few comments and suggestions.
>

>    By the virtue of enabling transport of EAP
>    above IP, any authentication method that can be carried as an EAP
>    method is made available to PANA and hence to any link-layer
>    technology with a minimum link-layer dependency.  There is a clear
>

> Alper> What's that dependency?

There is no link-layer dependency in the PANA protocol itself but
there is some link-layer dependency in the entire PANA framework
including EP which can be link-layer devices according to
pana-framework I-D.

Perhaps we can remove "with a minimum link-layer dependency" since
this I-D is about the PANA protocol itself.

>    There are components that are part of a complete secure network
>    access solution but are outside of the PANA protocol specification,
>    including IP address configuration, authentication method choice,
>    data traffic protection, PAA-EP protocol, and PAA discovery.  PANA
>    authentication output is used for creating access control filters.
>    These components except for IP address configuration are described in
>    separate documents (see [I-D.ietf-pana-framework],
>    [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp] and [I-D.ietf-dhc-paa-option]).  The IP address
>    configuration component may be specified in deployment-specific PANA
>    applicability documents.  The readers are recommended to read the
>    PANA Framework document [I-D.ietf-pana-framework] prior to reading
>    this protocol specification document.
>
> Alper> "IP address configuration" is not really part of a secure network
> access solution. I'd recommend this re-write of the above paragraph:
>
>    There are components that are part of a complete secure network
>    access solution but are outside of the PANA protocol specification,
>    including authentication method choice,
>    data traffic protection, PAA-EP protocol, and PAA discovery.  PANA
>    authentication output is used for creating access control filters.
>    These components are described in
>    separate documents (see [I-D.ietf-pana-framework],
>    [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp] and [I-D.ietf-dhc-paa-option]).
>    The readers are recommended to read the
>    PANA Framework document [I-D.ietf-pana-framework] prior to reading
>    this protocol specification document.

OK.

>       The protocol entity in the access network whose responsibility is
>       to verify the credentials provided by a PANA client (PaC) and
>       authorize network access to the access device associated with the
>       client.  The PAA and the EAP authenticator (and optionally the EAP
>
> Alper> I'd remove "associated with the client."

OK.

>       session cannot be shared across multiple network interfaces.  Only
>       one IP address of the PaC is allowed to be bound to a PANA session
>       for simplicity.
>
> Alper> i think we can remove the last sentence. Sure we don't explicitly
> support multi-homed clients, but no need to explicitly limit to single-homed
> either. Being silent is a better choice.

I agree.

>    The PAA MAY refrain from retransmitting the PANA-Start-Request
>    message to maintain as less amount of state as possible in the
>    handshake phase.  For this reason, the PaC MUST retransmit the PANA-
>    Client-Initiation message until it enters the authentication and
>    authorization phase by receiving a PANA-Auth-Request message from the
>    PAA.
>

> Alper> Just to add a bit more elaboration (to prevent questions), I can
> recommend
>

>    In order to prevent potential DoS attacks, the PAA MAY refrain from
>    timeout-based retransmission of the PANA-Start-Request
>    message in response to a PaC-initiated handshake. For this reason,
>    the PaC MUST retransmit the PANA-Client-Initiation message until it
>    enters the authentication and authorization phase by receiving
>    the first PANA-Auth-Request message from the PAA.

OK.

>    session, it MUST silently discard the message.  Transmission of this
>    error request is made optional in case this behavior is leveraged for
>    a DoS attack on the PAA.  A Nonce AVP MUST be included in the first
>

> Alper> There is no more error message generation. Hence the sentence
> starting with "Transmission of this..." shall be deleted.

Yes (and there is similar comment from Victor).

>    If IPsec is used between the PaC and the EPs, an IKE [RFC2409] IKEv2
>    [RFC4306] or MOBIKE [RFC4555] run is needed following such a change.
>
> Alper> This is not something for the base PANA specification to state. It's
> for PANA-ipsec document. Let's remove the above paragraph.

OK.

>    messages MUST be protected with an AUTH AVP.  The PAA may also need
>    update the per-packet enforcement policies of the EPs, however, this
>    is out of the scope of this document.
>
> Alper> This last sentence shall be removed too. As you said, it's out of
> scope.

OK.

>    For other PANA messages, the source port MUST be set to a value
>    chosen by the sender. and the destination port MUST be set to the
>
> Alper> Remove "."

OK.

>    [RFC3315]  Droms, R., Bound, J., Volz, B., Lemon, T., Perkins, C.,
>               and M. Carney, "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for
>               IPv6 (DHCPv6)", RFC 3315, July 2003.
>

> Alper> this shall be under the informative references.

OK.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba