Re: [paws] New draft for PAWS protocol

Cuiyang <cuiyang@huawei.com> Wed, 24 October 2012 03:33 UTC

From: Cuiyang <cuiyang@huawei.com>
To: "Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com" <Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com>, "vchen@google.com" <vchen@google.com>, "paws@ietf.org" <paws@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 03:32:58 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.48.135]
Subject: Re: [paws] New draft for PAWS protocol

Hi, Gabor and Vincent,

Basically, the merged draft is Okay for me.
By now, one thing worth pointing out is that the master device authentication, which has been mentioned in draft-ietf-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts, as a “MUST”.

---quote--

- Sec 6.1

P.4: The protocol MUST provide the ability for the database to authenticate the master device.

O.8: The database MUST respond to an available channel list request from an authenticated and authorized device

- Sec 8 (security considerations)
Threat 1: User modifies a device to masquerade as another valid certified device
Threat 5: Unauthorized use of channels by an uncertified device

---quote--
But in the merged draft Sec 10.4, it is said that “Consequently, client authentication is not required for the PAWS protocol.”

I would like to suggest that we clarify this contradiction, such as, remove the underlying sentence; otherwise people may wonder whether we need a “MUST” capability for a “not required” feature.
Alternatively, we could change the “MUST” to “MAY” in the rqmts WG document.

BTW, the two concerns for client auth in Sec 10.4,

-          Authorization

-          Credential leakage
have been taken care of in the draft draft-wu-paws-secutity-01.

Regards,
Yang
Yang Cui,  Ph.D.
Huawei Technologies