Re: [paws] draft document for Discovery

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 11 July 2012 21:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:48:11 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: andy.sago@bt.com
Cc: paws@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [paws] draft document for Discovery

It is pretty clear, and reasonable, that different domains are going to
have different discovery rules.  (I wish that regulators operating by
defining their goals.  There are other ways to achieve what ofcom wants.
  But that is a different rant.)

The simplest answer from a protocol perspective seems to be to allow a
provisioned starting point, and a recursion mechanism.  Then it doesn't
matter how many hops different domains require.

Is it acceptable, in ofcom-like environments, for the device to call its
vendor, in order to determine who to call next?  (It is easy enough to
design the referral to allow multiple stages of referral, as long as the
regulations don't require that the master device must check with the
regulator before checking with anyone else.)

Yours,
Joel