Re: [paws] I-D Action: draft-ietf-paws-protocol-11.txt

"Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz> Wed, 12 March 2014 20:48 UTC

From: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz>
To: Andy Lee <tvfool@google.com>, Cesar Gutierrez <Cesar.Gutierrez@ofcom.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 20:47:58 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.33.192.36]
Cc: "paws@ietf.org" <paws@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [paws] I-D Action: draft-ietf-paws-protocol-11.txt

I’ve think you have it pretty well.

The PROTOCOL need not mandate paying attention to the parameter.  The regulations (and the ETSI standard) do that.  The protocol merely transports the parameter.

So just delete the “must not ignore” part.  You might even look at the doc and see if we have any other similar wording we could delete.  We need to make sure MUST, SHOULD, MAY are used appropriately to make sure the protocol itself works.  How the device uses the data transported by the protocol is specified by the regulator and standards like ETSI.  You can use lower case must/should/may language to illustrate what the parameters are and how they might be used, but MUST/SHOULD/MAY 2119 language should be reserved for protocol mechanisms.

Brian