Re: [paws] agenda uploaded

Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com> Fri, 02 November 2012 21:01 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 14:01:16 -0700
From: Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>
To: Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com
Cc: paws@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [paws] agenda uploaded

Comments inline:

On 11/2/12 12:17 PM, Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com wrote:

> This group is a bit special in a sense that many of the members are
> new to ietf and they are coming from different backgrounds, eg ieee,
> or the industry involved with white spaces, etc.
>
> I would not be surprised finding out that many people on this mailing
> list believed that the use cases and requirements document was
> approved and it was a done deal, as soon as they saw I forwarded it to
> the iesg with publication requested action.
>
> People may not know that there is the concept of the AD in IETF, that
> ADs usually/always have comments and can send back the documents to
> the wg, and the wg is supposed to address those comments, etc.
>
> This is not to say that we do not want to go by the rules, but people
> sometimes need more explanation.

Absolutely understood. I certainly did not intend my message to be in
anyway interpreted as saying that the WG is doing something wrong with
regard to my comments; indeed, that part was solely a push to say, "If
the WG wishes to discuss these comments, we should start that discussion
on the list." More importantly, as you say:

> I sent the document to iesg on Aug31st, you came back to the list with
> your comments 2 months later...

Yes, for this again I must sincerely apologize. Far beyond my average
for responding to requests to publish, and this again is why I did not
wish to express anything wrong with the WG not discussing these
comments: I cannot expect that I will be so late in providing my
comments and then the WG turn around and start discussing within 2
weeks. So again, I am not worried about that.

> ...without specifying that these are the AD comments and the wg is
> requested to address them, otherwise the publication process cannot
> continue. People might have thought these are the comments from an
> outsider, why to address them.

Ah, yes, I should explain more: I need to be prepared to bring this
document to the IETF list for Last Call as well as bringing to the IESG
for IESG Evaluation. In its current form, I am afraid I will get large
pushback from each of those bodies, so I think the WG should consider
making some changes. That said, if the WG can give me the ammunition I
need to defend the document in its current form, that will be OK as
well. But either way, we do need to work through my comments.

> And many people interested in that document moved forward, the editors
> were let go from their employer, etc, so it is difficult to get people
> re-involved.

Yes, that is going to be tricky. We'll see what we can figure out.

> This might be the reasons why you did not get feedback to your
> comments. And this is why I reserved a bit of time in our F2F for this.

Completely understood.

> Some background info on how did we end up with those use cases in the
> document:
>
> There were people coming from different SDOs, like 802.11, 802.22, and
> some others, with their use cases; which from system functionality
> point of view differ, but the requirements to the protocol between the
> master and the db are the same. We had this discussion in the group
> and people said this document should document the use cases for white
> space usage, even though they result in the same reqs for the
> protocol. By not including some of the use case, some people felt that
> we want to leave that specific technology out. Anyway, I wanted to see
> if people are ok now to remove/merge some of the use cases to address
> your comment. That was another reason I put it on the agenda.

Yes, I understand not wanting to leave things out. The idea of "merging"
some of the use cases together I think would be a nice way forward. We
should (as a group) discuss that.

> Finally, since we got a 2.5h slot and some documents I expected did
> not come, we'll have time left for  other business, that is why the
> last doc showed up on the agenda.
>
> Hope this answers your issues.

It more than answers my issues regarding my AD comments on the
usecases-rqmts document. Of course, it does not address my other
comments regarding the agenda.

Thanks for your reply.

pr