[paws] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-paws-protocol-15: (with COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 29 August 2014 14:41 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 07:41:08 -0700
Cc: paws@ietf.org, paws-chairs@tools.ietf.org, draft-ietf-paws-protocol@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [paws] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-paws-protocol-15: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-paws-protocol-15: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-paws-protocol/

COMMENT:

Thanks for sorting out my discuss points.

I didn't fully check the location stuff is now all ok, but I
expect that since others had related discuss points
it'll be checked more thoroughly (and it looks ok to
me too)

S.

--- old comments below, didn't check if they were handled or
not, but feel free to keep chatting about 'em if that's useful

- write-up: its a pity that coders haven't gotten together more
openly and done interop, but I guess different businesses are
different.

- section 1, last para: I realise authorized devices is what
the WG are interested in, but the protocol ought not require
that, so the last sentence here is wrong - it surely should
be: s/device is authorized to operate/device operates/

- Ruleset: I hope there's a NULL, meaning "no rules":-)

- 4.4.1 - nothing stops a device lying about location, right?

- 4.5 - the slave location vs. master location seems unclear
to me. Can you clarify?

- 4.5.1 - timestamp has to be UTC right? You only seem to
indicate that via the "Z" in the timestamp format which I
expect could be easily missed. Suggest you emphasise that. You
should probably also say if truncated timestamps are ok, for
example just to the minute granularity without specifying
seconds.  I assume that's not allowed? And lastly, please
specify if the start (resp. end) of the second (or whatever)
unit is when a device gains (resp. looses) spectrum. (Or add a
global statement on timezones where you earlier said that
identifiers are case sensitive by default.) Some of this is in
5.14, but I'm not sure if that's enough. (It could be.)

- 5.2 - I don't get why you need X.520 here.

- 5.5 - could a vCard value just be (the moral equivalent of)
"Internet" or "I'm not telling"?

- section 7: Saying the master device MUST implement server
auth is confusing, since the master device is the TLS client,
right?

- Section 10: Under the privacy bullet you should also
recognise that an authorized entity can be privacy invasive
(e.g. selling contact information, sending all on to law
enforcement without permission).

- Section 10: Given diginotar and similar (incl. by nation
states), having the master device send its identifying
information in its first message means that simply saying "use
TLS" is not enough. You need to say "TLS, assuming the PKI
used is ok,..." or similar.