Re: [payload] I-D Action: draft-ietf-payload-rtp-sbc-01.txt

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Mon, 19 December 2011 16:42 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:42:12 +0000
To: Christian Hoene <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc: payload@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [payload] I-D Action: draft-ietf-payload-rtp-sbc-01.txt

Christian,

Some comments on this version:

- Section 3 is background, but is written in a way that could be interpreted as making a series of normative requirements (e.g., “SBC can use four or eight subbands. The decoder shall support both; the encoder shall support at least 8 subbands”). Be clear whether these are normative requirements made by this document, or by the SBC codec specification or the SBC A2DP profile.

- The draft uses “CAN” throughout, but this is not an RFC 2119 keyword. What is meant?

- Need to mandate the behaviour if the fields in the frame header don’t match the SDP negotiated values. It would be better if these parameters were only specified in the SDP, rather than duplicating them in-band and in the signalling.

- Media type registration: “MIME type” -> “Media type”, since this is more general than Internet mail.

- The formatting of the “optional parameters” section of the media type registration is unclear. Is this supposed to include the capabilities parameter? Is the capabilities parameter really optional? Section 7.2 seems to require it.

- The change controller cannot be the AVT working group, since that no longer exists

- Section 7.1.1 refers to the “a=rtpmap:” attribute for the rate and channel parameters, but section 7.1 doesn’t define these parameters. Need to add them in the required parameters section of the media type registration.

Colin