Re: [payload] RTP Payload Format and File Storage Format for Opus Speech and Audio Codec - draft-spittka-payload-rtp-opus-00

Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net> Mon, 11 July 2011 22:00 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:00:37 +0200
From: Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net>
To: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
Cc: payload@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [payload] RTP Payload Format and File Storage Format for Opus Speech and Audio Codec - draft-spittka-payload-rtp-opus-00

Randell Jesup wrote:
> ptime is I think desired but not required.  maxptime and minptime should
> be hard receiver limits.

The goal has always been that every Opus decoder is able to decode any valid Opus bitstream.  Advantages are:
- In a multi-party call you can send the same bitstream to all end points.  If maxptime and minptime were hard limits, then two end points may not have any overlap in their ranges of allowed ptime, making it impossible to share bitstreams.
- Less reliance on parameter negotiation.  Keep in mind that bitstreams may be saved to file and played out later.

Note that the cost in storage requirements of maxptime being a soft limit is modest: payloads are stored in compressed format, and payloads with ptime > 20 ms can always be decoded in chunks of 20 ms (or less).

If Opus' use of minptime and maxptime differs from what is generally accepted, then perhaps we should use different names for these parameters?

Roni Even wrote:
> So what is the benfit for the receiver to signal it.

See section 7.2.1: performance (e.g. quality) may be better for some ptime values than for others.

best,
koen.