Re: [payload] I-D Action: draft-ietf-payload-vp8-05.txt

"Sandy (Alexander) MacInnis" <macinnis@broadcom.com> Tue, 04 September 2012 19:04 UTC

From: "Sandy (Alexander) MacInnis" <macinnis@broadcom.com>
To: "pwestin@webrtc.org" <pwestin@webrtc.org>, Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 19:04:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.21.66.89]
Cc: "payload@ietf.org" <payload@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [payload] I-D Action: draft-ietf-payload-vp8-05.txt

To clarify, I had suggested (4/25/12) that *if* the use of multiple partitions is important to some receivers in order for them to obtain the required throughput, then we might want the spec to signal the number, or the minimum number, but not the maximum number, of partitions. Receivers should never have a problem with too many partitions. Some might have a problem with too few.

I am not advocating this; I would prefer to require that all receivers simply be able to receive all streams of the indicated throughput, i.e. frame size & rate. However I have heard that there may be receivers that do require multiple partitions in order to meet their throughput requirements. One can see how this could be important for multi-threaded decoders. That's why I asked for input on this from Google.

--Sandy