Re: [Pce] Switching type Constraint in PCEP

"fabien.verhaeghe" <fabien.verhaeghe@atosorigin.com> Wed, 28 March 2007 14:06 UTC

From: "fabien.verhaeghe" <fabien.verhaeghe@atosorigin.com>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, LE ROUX Jean-Louis RD-CORE-LAN <jeanlouis.leroux@orange-ftgroup.com>, Dan Li <danli@huawei.com>, pce@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Pce] Switching type Constraint in PCEP
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:05:42 +0200

Hi Dan, JL, Adrian,

Reading the generic and inter layer requirement documents it is not clear to
me if Switching Type
is really specific to inter layer application.
As far as I understand inter-layer requirement refers to path computation
which result path may comprise multiple layer technologies.
Though I understand Switching type is required in this context, it is also
required for mono layer path computation in a multi-layer environment
(e.g. to computate a Lambda path using a TE Database that contains also TDM
TE Links).
So it is more a GMPLS specific requirement to me.

Acually it is not clear to me what is the scope of generic and "application
specific" requirements.
Generic Requirement RFC4657 section 5.1.16 mention Switching and encoding
type as "GMPLS specific requirements".
Does it mean "GMPLS specific" is "considered as generic?

Concerning the necessity of "encoding type" in PCEP I have to admit that I'm
not sure to correctly understand the meaning
of this parameter in the GMPLS architecture :-). What I understand at least
is that it is both an interface and
an LSP property, so from this it seems to be required in PCEP.
I would be interested to see discussion about encoding type requirement in
PCEP
cause it may clarify the encoding type meaning to me ;-).

Regards
Fabien