Re: [Pce] Re: Progress on draft-ietf-pce-discovery-reqs-01.txt

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Wed, 07 September 2005 10:51 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: Stephen Morris <stephenbjm@yahoo.com>, LE ROUX Jean-Louis RD-CORE-LAN <jeanlouis.leroux@francetelecom.com>
Subject: Re: [Pce] Re: Progress on draft-ietf-pce-discovery-reqs-01.txt
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 11:00:08 +0100
Cc: pce@ietf.org
Sender: pce-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Hi,

> A network manager would probably want NMS data on all
> of the PCEs in the network. It's a useful mechanism in
> discovery to let the managed entities (PCEs in this
> case) notify the NMS about changes (such as
> capability). This is particularly so in cases where
> there are many such entities.

Yes, but let's not get things out of proportion. There will always be at
least as many network switches/routers as there are PCEs in any network
(such is the nature of the architecture).

How do switches/routers currently keep their capabilities (i.e. inventory)
up-to-date with NMS? Why shouldn't PCEs use the same technique?

> So, I think we have 2 related points here:
> (1) External entities (e.g., NMS) should be able to
> listen in on PCE changes, including detecting new PCEs
> as they appear. This reduces polling.

Agreed. If the NMS is capable of listening, there is nothing in any of the
suggestions that prohibits it. However, we should not, I think, make it
compulsory for an NMS to listen to the PCE discovery protocols since this
may be operationally impossible in some configurations.

> (2) PCEs should be able to assist the NMS in
> discovering them and their capabilities

Certainly if we allow capabilities exchange as part of the PCC-PCE
protocol, this would be possible. The NMS would simply behave as a PCC
(which it will probably want to do anyway for computational purposes).