Re: [Pce] Adopting draft-crabbe-pce-stateful-pce-02 as a PCE WG document

Ramon Casellas <ramon.casellas@cttc.es> Thu, 02 February 2012 18:28 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 19:28:28 +0100
From: Ramon Casellas <ramon.casellas@cttc.es>
To: pce@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Pce] Adopting draft-crabbe-pce-stateful-pce-02 as a PCE WG document

El 02/02/2012 9:14, JP Vasseur escribió:
> Dear all,
>
> This document has been presented twice and certainly still deserves more discussion, but it seems that there is enough interest to poll the Working Group
> for WG adoption. Please let us know by Feb 19th noon ET, whether you are in favor/opposed of adopting draft-crabbe-pce-stateful-pce as a WG document.

Dear PCErs

I share Adrian's comments. The stateless PCE as a functional component
of a control plane is well understood and I think that, in view of
potential &  new use cases such as software defined networks/openflow
and other control & management schemes, there is room to take the PCE a
step further, not necessarily tied to a GMPLS control plane.

I cannot comment on the concrete, technical details of the draft itself
yet, as I just read it globally (I plan to read it carefully when time
permits, most surely before Paris).

To be clear, yes I support the adoption of the draft.

However, as a minor comment, the stateful PCE is briefly covered in
RFC4655, and in more depth in sections 2-5 of crabbe's draft, but I
wonder (I am really not sure myself) whether we would need to split it
and consider first, a more detailed architecture, functional
requirements/framework, use cases (i.e. no signaling, direct vertical
configuration of the forwarding state) and architecture, and once agreed
on those, propose protocol extensions.  Is the stateful PCE a wide
enough topic to go this path? The draft seems to bundle a full solution
:) -- I guess this is more an open question rather than a comment on the
draft itself

Thanks
R.

--