Re: [Pce] I-D Action: draft-tanaka-pce-stateful-pce-mbb-00.txt

"Margaria, Cyril (NSN - DE/Munich)" <cyril.margaria@nsn.com> Mon, 11 March 2013 14:24 UTC

From: "Margaria, Cyril (NSN - DE/Munich)" <cyril.margaria@nsn.com>
To: ext Yuji Kamite <y.kamite@ntt.com>, "pce@ietf.org" <pce@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-pce-stateful-pce@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-pce-stateful-pce@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:24:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.159.42.118]
Subject: Re: [Pce] I-D Action: draft-tanaka-pce-stateful-pce-mbb-00.txt

Hi,

I find the problem statement interesting, how much control plane intelligence you want/need to put in the active stateful with instantiation.

My personal opinion is that controlling all the small aspects of the control plane may complicate too much the PCE.
The control plane is good at  handling autonomously the signaling, in this use case the active PCE (with  and without instantion) should limit itself to recommending the paths.

I understand the reason for the fully PCE controlled MBB is for coordination in multi-segment e2e tunnel. Could you illustrate the problem? Is it when you have several inter-control-domains link? From PCC point of view you  would not change the endpoints, so the MBB should be quite agnostic to the switching procedure.

I think that one option is missing : the PCE tells the Control plane "use this new route", and its up to the control plane to use the MBB or other signaling mechanism/protection mechanism available/configured.

From a technical point of view I think the additional information would be the ADMIN_STATUS of the LSP instead of the data control. One alternative (but less MBB/RSVP-TE) aligned would be to use the O bit of the PROTECTION_ATTRIBUTE TLC of the LSPA object (as defined draft-ietf-pce-stateful-pce-02 -section 6.2 and draft-crabbe-pce-stateful-pce-mpls-te-00, LSPA object)

Finally: I am missing the error/restart procedures : control session closed, control plane restart, timers, ..etc
I think taking into account those error procedures would point into the direction of letting the control plane taking care of the existing signaling procedures.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Cyril Margaria