Re: [PCN] Encoding Option: '01' & '10' Encoding

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Mon, 25 February 2008 10:11 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:08:27 -0000
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: khchan@nortel.com, pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] Encoding Option: '01' & '10' Encoding
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Kwok

Just wanted to clarify what your proposal is. I think it's:

PCN Meaning		ECN 	 DSCP

Admission Mark	00	 PCN 1
PCN-capable   	01	 PCN 1
PCN-capable   	10	 PCN 1
Termination Mark	11	 PCN 1

I think something like this is an option worth considering. Are these
the pros & cons?

Pros:
o  It only needs one DSCP, per PCN behaviour aggregate. In normal
circumstances where the PCN-domain is configured correctly, then
PCN-traffic is distinguished from non-PCN traffic by use of this DSCP.

o  For a router to classify a packet as PCN, it simply reads its DSCP.
This is probably easier than checking both its DSCP & ECN fields.

Unclear:
o  If the PCN-boundary-nodes are misconfigured so that PCN packets can
sneak out of the PCN-domain, or non PCN-packets can sneak in, then it
needs more analysis.
(Kwok, your scheme is quite good from this point of view. '00' sneaking
out?)

Cons
 o  Termination marking and admission marking are not independent -
before a router writes TM is must check that the packet isn't already
admission marked. (Note: Over-writing a TM with AM is not allowed for
3SM & CL, see draft-charny-pcn-comparison.)

o  It needs an extra DSCP, per PCN behaviour aggregate.

o  If a packet (in a PCN flow) arrives at the egress with its ECN = 01,
10 or 11 and it really is required to preserve this info across the
PCN-domain, then some complexity is needed at the PCN-boundary-nodes
(tunnelling)

Hope you're de-fevered!
phil

ECN
> [...]
>      Minimizing the use of additional DSCPs.
>
> 2. If a PCN '01' or '10' encoded packet receives ECN router treatment:
>      The ECN router will not change the encoding if it does not
experience
>      congestion.
>      The ECN router will change the encoding to '11' (CE) if it
> experienced
>      congestion, trusting the offered load to the congestion point
> will be reduced.
>      If a PCN Edge Node receives the '11' encoding and if we choose it
> mean
>      Termination, then the offered load to the congestion point will
> be reduced.
>      PCN terminates the flow, hence this should be ECN (at least ECN
when
>      used for TCP) friendly.  Detailed discussions of how friendly
should
> be
>      an algorithm matter and will need to involve algorithm
> comparisons with ECN.
>      If an ECN End Node receives the '11' encoding, it will mean
interpret
> it
>      as CE and will reduce the offered load as describe by RFC 3168.
>      How friendly is this ECN flow to the PCN domain is a discussion
> of algorithms
>      and will have to make assumptions of using ECN for TCP and which
> PCN algorithm.
>      The how friendly discussions should be part of the algorithm
> discussions.
>
> 3. When ECN packets pass through PCN Interior Nodes with no Pre-
> Congestions,
>      no affects to ECN and PCN.  This includes ECN packets using ECN
> nonce.
>
> 4. When PCN packets pass through ECN routers with no Congestions,
>      no affects to ECN and PCN.
>
> 5. If we don't have to worry about ECN nonce passing through PCN
nodes,
>      we can use one of the two bit patterns for another PCN encoding
> state.
>
> Point # 2 above discusses:
> 1. ECN packets entering PCN domain and then leaving the PCN domain
>      back into ECN routers and endpoints.
> 2. PCN packets leaving the PCN domain and encounters ECN routers and
>      PCN endpoints.  Does it make sense to talk about PCN packets
> encountering
>      ECN (TCP) endpoints?  If the ECN endpoint handles this PCN
packet,
> then
>      it should reduce the flows offered load, the functionality PCN
> Interior Nodes expects.
>
> Based on the assumption of using PCN DSCP to separate PCN traffic and
> non PCN traffic:
> - When we talk about ECN packet entering PCN domain, we mean somehow
>    the ECN packet uses the PCN DSCP.  There are DiffServ methods to
> prevent this.
> - When we talk about PCN packet leaving PCN domain, we mean somehow
>    the PCN packet encounters routers that does not understand the PCN
DSCP

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-