RE: [PCN] PCN architecture new section on tunnelling

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Thu, 06 September 2007 17:14 UTC

Subject: RE: [PCN] PCN architecture new section on tunnelling
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:14:48 +0100
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com
Cc: pcn@ietf.org

Ruediger,
In-line - thanks
phil

[phil]
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-lefaucheur-rsvp-ecn-01.txt [&
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-0
4.txt] - I think try to do this, with rsvp as the signalling example

> RSVP is not supposed to be tunneled to all places. If a PCN
> related RSVP message is tunneled through a PCN ingress router,
> the tunnel terminates in the middle of a PCN domain and the
> RSVP message continues through a PCN domain egress, I'd
> regard this as a security incident. May be the message should
> simply be ignored - dropping is another alternative. The
> possibility to insert RSVP (or other signaling messages) that
> way requires authentication for the signaling between PCN
> ingress and egress nodes.

[phil] yes you're right. in this case where the ingress doesn't see the
rsvp msg, then presumably adm ctrl isn't triggered so the flow wouldn't
be admitted.

> Regards,
>
> Ruediger

Briscoe-cl-architecture
> |gave another).
> |
> |For adm ctrl, the solutions seem to be:
> |- tunnel all traffic between PCN-ingress-node and PCN-egress-node (I
> |  think this works for your tunnelling examples as well as for ECMP)
> |- accept the adm decision is approximate;
> |- do probing for each flow admission
> |
> |in terms of knowing what the PCN-ingress-node is (so that you
> |know where to do policing to enforce the adm decision), wouldn't
> |this still be done at the signalling level? I suppose the
> |question is then what happens if eg rsvp is tunnelled?
> |
> |phil

interpretation
> |of
> |> the PCN information is leads to the wrong conclusions. Similar
> |problems
> |> occur with excess-traffic-marked packets if the corresponding PCN
> |> information is associated with the path. The marked flow
termination
> |> (MFT) from the 3sm-draft associates the marking with the flow and
can
> |> cope well with arbitrarily routed flows.
> |>
> |> Possible solution: the marking from X to B needs to be evaluated at
> |> and be associated with the path from X to B, and the marking
received
> |> from B to Y needs to be evaluated at Y and be associated
> |with the path
> |> from B to Y.
> |>
> |> I just want to say: tunneling with tunnel endpoints in PCN
> |networks is
> |> not yet understood.
> |>
> |> Best wishes,
> |>
> |> Michael