Re: [PCN] CLEBAC vs. OBAC

Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de> Mon, 17 March 2008 01:32 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 02:29:36 +0100
From: Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: Tom Taylor <tom.taylor@rogers.com>
Cc: pcn <pcn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PCN] CLEBAC vs. OBAC
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Tom,

You refer to http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/slides/pcn-8.pdf

> Looking at your charts, I note that overall, OBAC provides a higher
> probability at any level that a given flow will be blocked (not
> admitted).

Yes, that must be the case.

> Looking at the desirable effects, we see that although CLEBAC results
> in distinctly less unnecessary blocking at lower traffic levels, OBAC
> results in less over-admission at high traffic levels. Do you think
> the latter difference is significant?

It can be significant when PCN is used for what it is not made for: low
ingress-egress aggregation. I don't say that this is a corner case or
not interesting, but it is a case where PCN has problems. If you want to
go to as small ingress-egress aggregates as possible, then OBAC might be
a solution for such scenarios to mitigate the effect of false admission,
but it cannot solve them.

> If so, we may want to define regimes where CLEBAC respectively OBAC
> operate.

I don't think that it is possible or desirable to have both CLEBAC and
OBAC to control the same ingress-egress aggregate. The large number of
false negatives for OBAC disappear as soon as the token bucket size is
set to larger values (see attached file), but it also delays the
reaction of OBAC since it takes longer until marked feedback arrives
when the admissible rate on a link is exceeded. Well, those are tradeoffs.

Just to make it clear: I think that the major benefit of OBAC compared
to CLEBAC is its fast reaction time which may be helpful in case of
flashcrowds where you need a fast reaction and don't want to wait 1-2
measurement intervals which is needed in case of CLEBAC.

Regards,

    Michael Menth

--
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science