Re: [PCN] Consensus questions: Q1, Q2, and Q3.

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Thu, 20 March 2008 15:31 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:29:25 -0000
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: steven.blake@ericsson.com, pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] Consensus questions: Q1, Q2, and Q3.
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Steven, yes to all 3. I add some notes to clarify my viewpoint.

Q1 - yes, I support a Standards track encoding with two PCN encoding
states

Q2 - yes, I support an Experimental track encoding that extends the
Standards track encoding to give an extra PCN encoding state

Q3 - yes, I believe there is enough information now for the PCN WG to
make its decisions immediately about the Standards track elements of its
Charter, ie the encoding(*) and the PCN-interior-node's marking
behaviours.
(*) including the Exptal encoding of Q2.
The recent discussion on the list has (as far as I can tell) not raised
any substantive new issue; it's a re-statement of the ECMP issue, which
is known to be an issue. (And incidentally was a known issue for NSIS -
which suggests it's a fundamental characteristic of a system with both
ECMP and flow admission control. That simply means the user of PCN has
to recognise the issue and either be appropriately cautious or use one
of the known, but not wholly satisfactory, solutions.)

Best wishes and Happy Easter!
Phil/