Re: [PCN] New Version Notification fordraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-01

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Wed, 15 October 2008 11:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:11:14 +0100
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: toby.moncaster@bt.com, pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] New Version Notification fordraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-01
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Toby,

Michael has brought up what I think is a good suggestion in the context
of the marking behaviour draft
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-00

{ ===================================================
{
{ Section 2.5
{
{ This section describes the required joint behavior of excess and
threshold
{ markers in specific deployment scenarios. Doing that in the main body
of
{ the documents sounds like excluding other use, e.g. for
packet-specific
{ dual
{ marking which allows the implementation of a CL-like admission control
and
{ flow termination with only a single DSCP. I suggest decoupling the
{ description
{ of the meter and marker functions from their joint behavior which
depends
{ on
{ the specific encoding.

I sympathise with michael's point. I'm inclined to think that most of
the current text in S2.5 of ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-00 would fit
better in the baseline encoding draft. I think it would fit naturally
into your text about encoding transitions (current Appendix B). at the
moment the table just gives what the valid transitions are - this would
be expanded by saying in more detail which specific transitions are
valid depending on what the meters say.

In answer to your question about App B "The PCN working group needs to
decide whether to
   include this in this baseline encoding or whether to transfer it to
   an alternative document."
I think michael's point & PSDM example means that it needs to be
specified in each encoding document. You could say this in S5 (Rules for
Experimental Encoding Schemes) ie require extensions to specify
similarly what the encoding transitions are depending on the state of
the 2 meters.

phil