RE: [PCN] PCN & tunnelling

Black_David@emc.com Mon, 29 October 2007 19:58 UTC

From: Black_David@emc.com
Subject: RE: [PCN] PCN & tunnelling
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:57:38 -0400
To: philip.eardley@bt.com, pcn@ietf.org

Phil,

As the author of RFC 2983, I was going to point you to this text.

Regarding the characteristics of the other end of the tunnel, there
isn't any magic; one has to know this (or figure it out) as part of
setting up the tunnel.  RFC 2983 was written from a core networks
point of view so the expected sort of tunnel is one being used for
traffic management, so its reasonable to expect that the nature of
the other endpoint is known when the tunnel is set up.

If in doubt, clearing out everything (e.g., DSCP of 0) is generally
a good course of action for a tunnel headed elsewhere, and if the
tunnel winds up back in the same domain, unbeknownst to the admins,
shame on those who weren't paying attention.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754