RE: [PCN] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Thu, 28 June 2007 15:59 UTC

Subject: RE: [PCN] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:59:20 +0100
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: pcn@ietf.org

Hi all,

Just a reminder that all comments on this draft would be great. It aims
to describe the PCN architecture, in light of the PCN WG's Charter & its
Milestone of an Info doc on 'Flow Admission and Termination Architecture
within a Diffserv Domain' (due Nov 07).

S1 Introduction.
This is quite short. If desired, it could be boosted with a general
explanation of where PCN fits into the picture of QoS and how it's
evolved (compare Section 1.1 of draft-chan-pcn-problem-statement-01)

S2 Terminology
In the "Editor's note" are 3 alternative terms that some of the authors
preferred.

S3 Assumptions and constraints on scope
These are the 4 things mentioned in the Charter, plus some explanation
of them. Are they clear? Also we mention some of the ways that a future
revised Charter might look at overcoming some of the
constraints/assumptions; is this sub-section at the right depth?

S4 High-level functional architecture
We have tried to write this section (and the following ones) so that it
fits all the various proposals there've been for PCN mechanisms. Does
this make the section too wishy-washy or too hard to understand? Should
it include some comparison of the different mechanisms proposed
(PCN-interior-node marking algorithms & PCN-boundary-node reactions)?

S5 Detailed Functional architecture
Is this a reasonable description of the extra functionality that PCN
requires on various nodes in the PCN-domain? Is it the right way to
split up the description? For clarity / help reader's understanding,
should there be some specific examples of how functionality might be
distributed (eg "if you followed the deployment model in
draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04, then this measurement is made at
the PCN-egress-node, communicated to the PCN-ingress-nodes which makes
the admission decision; etc.")

S6 Design goals and challenges
This briefly describes some open issues, taken from
briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture. Are there other ones that should be
mentioned? Is the problem description at the right level of depth?
Should we discuss various possible solutions to these problems?

S7 Deployment scenarios
Briefly describes some deployment scenarios for pcn? is this at the
right level of depth?

S8 Operations and Management
This section was written in response to the Charter saying that the
architecture document should include security, manageability and
operational considerations. The draft addresses this by providing some
thoughts under the FCAPS headings: OAM of Faults, Configuration,
Accounting, Performance and Security? Is this the right way of
structuring it - does it cover the right set of topics? Is the text at
the right level? - eg should it also have a detailed set of parameters
that would be available for configuration?

An overall question is whether the draft should have more comparison of
the options (pros/cons) for various aspects.

I aim to edit another version of the draft before the ietf (but maybe
not before the deadline as I'm on hols next week).

Thanks!
Phil/

om,babiarz@nortel.com,audet@nortel.com,aceler@nortel.com,simmonds@nortel
.c

om,huiwc@nortel.com,amuhanna@nortel.com,mchen@nortel.com,khchan@nortel.c
om

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
> >to change your subscription settings.
> >
> >Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
> >username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
> >logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
> >"get draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt".
> >
> >A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
> >http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> >or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
> >
> >Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
> >
> >Send a message to:
> >         mailserv@ietf.org.
> >In the body type:
> >         "FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt".

> >NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
> >         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
> >         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the
"FILE"
> >         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack"
or
> >         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
> readers
> >         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
> >         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been
split
> >         up into multiple messages), so check your local
documentation on