[PCN] Draft Notes of IETF71 PCN w-g meeting PtII, Thu 13 Mar 08

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Fri, 21 March 2008 00:45 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:38:30 +0000
To: "BLAKE, Steven" <steven.blake@ericsson.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Cc: PCN IETF list <pcn@ietf.org>
Subject: [PCN] Draft Notes of IETF71 PCN w-g meeting PtII, Thu 13 Mar 08
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Steven, & PCN list,

Please check whether this represents a true reflection of your
experience of the meeting...

Thanks to Kwok Ho Chan for his notes to help me compile these. I hope
these notes help remote folks like Kwok who clearly had trouble
following what was going on, what with last minute slide changes, and
loss of audio, etc.

Bob

Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification WG (pcn) Pt II
IETF71 Meeting Minutes (Draft)

THURSDAY, March 13, 2008
0900-1130 Morning Session I
Salon I Marriot Downtown, Philadelphia
Meeting materials:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/71/materials.html#wg-pcn>
Audio archive:
<http://limestone.uoregon.edu/ftp/pub/videolab/media/ietf71/ietf71-ch7-thur-am-pcn.mp3>
====================================
CHAIRs: Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu> (not present)
         Steven Blake  <steven.blake@ericsson.com>

o Administrivia                                                 chairs   5 min
   - Blue sheets
   - Scribe
   - Shuffled agenda relative to that uploaded

Initials:
[SB]:   Steven Blake (when not acting as chair)
[BB]:   Bob Briscoe
[ACh]:  Anna Charny
[PE]:   Phil Eardley
[LE]:   Lars Eggert
[RJ]:   Raj Jain
[GK]:   Georgios Karagiannis
[MM]:   Michael Menth
[TM]:   Toby Moncaster

Abbreviations used throughout (not incl those coined by individual presenters):
AC:     Admission control
FT:     Flow termination
CLE:    Congestion level estimate
ERM:    Excess rate marking
ThM:    Threshold marking
AfM:    Affected marking
NM:     PCN-capable but not marked
IEA:    Ingress-egress aggregate
CL:     Controlled load (refers to
         expired draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04.txt and
         draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-phb-03.txt)
SM:     Single marking (draft-charny-pcn-single-marking-03)
LC-PCN: Load controlled PCN (draft-westberg-pcn-load-control-03)
3SM:    3-state marking (draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-01)
ECMP:   Equal cost multi-path
PDP:    Policy Decision Point

o Performance of admission control methods              Michael Menth   20 min
   draft-menth-pcn-performance-02
====================================
Slides at <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/slides/pcn-8.pdf>
Acknowledged Frank Lehrieder
Presentation summary:

Performance evaluation of:- Congestion level estimate-based AC
(CLEBAC) = block if fraction marked/all exceeds a threshold
- Observation-based AC (OBBAC) = one marked packet switches IEA to
block state, switch back to admit if no marked packets for a timeout

Simulation set-up
  - Single bottleneck link with n (~100) independent sources
  - Different size IEAs over this link (n or 10)

Metric used: fraction of time (flow blocking prob) when false AC decisions:
- False positive = admit when shouldn't
- False negative = block when shouldn't

Q. Anna Charny: Does 10 flows mean 10 in aggregate, or are there also
only 10 on the link?
A. No, 10 in aggregate but 10% over-capacity means 110 flows on the
bottleneck link.
Not saying SM (or ERM) is bad, just that it doesn't work well with
small IEAs. It's not a property of the link aggregation. It's a
property of the ingress-egress aggregation. This is just a property
that we would have to live with.

   Results      false   false   parameter
   Summary      negt'vs post'vs sensitivity
CLEBAC ThM     few     few     little
   OBAC ThM     many    few     little
CLEBAC ERM     few     many    little
   OBAC ERM     few     many    significant

With ERM, blocking ratio is still low with 10% more flows than
intended, but with OBAC you can configure the detection algo to have
a fairly high blocking ratio at 10% overload by requiring a long time
without any marked packets in block state before returning to admit
state. This says OBAC can give better AC in the cases we have
investigated. Probably haven't done as many simulations as Anna, but
there are cases where OBAC gives better results, essentially in small
aggregates.
[ACh]: In SM presentation we'll try to quantify the excess capacity
you need to avoid false positives. Will give quite precise numbers.
But results broadly in agreement with more extensive simulations we did.

Summary
With ThM everything's fine.
With ERM many false positives if IEA small (10-30 flows)
Questions usefulness of AC based on ERM, but on other side can say it
is useful but just need to know its limitations.
OBAC also not good in that case, but have seen it can be better than CLEBAC.
No figures available on the speed of admission control, but OBAC
designed to react faster, which is important when we have a flash
crowd, but with CLE-based, we have to wait until the end of a
measurement period.

Questions?
[ACh]: Rather than saying ER marking is useless for small IEAs, a
more accurate statement: If you used ER marking you would have to
account for the relatively larger error that results which would
translate into the appropriate capacity guidance. Certainly better
than saying it doesn't work, but it is certainly more inaccurate with
small aggregates than we would like to see.
[MM]: [Essentially agreeing] Don't say it doesn't work. We need to
know: Do we have small IEAs? etc We need to know whether we have
difficulties, and if so how do we deal with them.

o Edge-assisted marked flow termination (EMFT)          Michael Menth   30 min
   draft-menth-pcn-emft-00
====================================
Slides at: <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/slides/pcn-9.pdf>
Summary of presentation:

Marked flow termination (MFT): terminates some flows that are marked.
Better for ECMP because only flows marked are terminated.
Problem: too aggressive if terminate every flow with a marked packet.
Solutions: Marking frequency reduction:
- Core-assisted MFT (CMFT - same as 3SM): Modify excess rate marking
to proprotionately mark
- Edge-assisted MFT (EMFT): Edges only terminate some flows that
receive marked packets

EMFT, two options:
- Flow-based EMFT: Per flow credit counter initialised randomly; each
marked byte reduces counter, when .le.0, terminate flow
- Aggregate-based EMFT: Per IEA credit counter initialised randomly;
each marked packet reduces counter, when .le.0, terminate a flow
picked from IEA; increase credit counter proportionately to rate of
terminated flow
[BB]: Credit counter should be decremented by no. of marked bytes,
not packets, to be fair to small-packet flows.
[MM]: Y [slide says bytes, incorrectly said packets]

Expt set-up: single bottleneck, termination rate at 100 flows. 100%
overload. 200ms termination delay. No packet loss is a recognised limitation.

[GK]: Suppose there is severe congestion somewhere, traffic going through
the congestion point will get rerouted to another route, then at
least one point in the new path will get congested and packets get
dropped.  At that point the terminate marked packets will never
get to the edge.  Then this will not work.

If have severe disaster, traffic going through the congestion point
will get rerouted to another route, then at least one point in the
new path will get congested and packets get dropped. If packets that
would have been marked are dropped preferentially, may not get enough
marked packets to trigger termination. May not get /any/ packets
through for some flows. If this problem is not solved then we fail on
getting a sufficient solution for flow termination.
[MM]: Will get enough, but yes, it will slow down termination. We
solve this problem by ensuring the termination threshold is not too
close to the link rate.

[GK]: Repeated point about possibly not getting /any/ marked packets
in some flows with sever congestion of >100%.
[MM]: Not true, as long as termination threshold below link rate,
then flows get termination marks.
[GK]: /Some/ flows.

[Chair]: Pls continue presenting (? inaudible?)

Flow termination delay is feedback time of system. The time between
termination being triggered and no more packets from that flow
arriving at the egress. Parameter we have to take into account: set
to 200ms and did sensitivity studies.

Knob to control termination speed: Termination aggressiveness, alpha.
Controls marking frequency reduction. Same alpha for core or edge
solutions. Can control tradeoff betw speed of termination and
over-termination. If too high, over-terminates. If too low,
termination too slow but doesn't over-terminate.

All the approaches have similar mean termination curves with time,
but the differences can be seen by plotting the 5th and 95th
percentiles. Then flow-based EMFT has wider variance. Termination
process still inreasonable, controllable, bounds.

For larger (double) overload, still get fast termination in one more
cycle, because of exponential nature of termination curve. Packet
loss not simulated would reduce termination speed (shortcoming of simulations).

Differences between variants. For all, flow termination delay affects
termination speed. But not fairness - ie if long & short flow
termination delay mixed in same network, they have the same flow
termination probability.

Comparison:
* CMFT:
   - Termination
   - No termination priorities
   - allows anti-cheating for e2e PCN (no details - not in charter)
* EMFT
   - termination precedence possible
   - flow & aggregate both suitable, but richer policies with aggregates
   - per flow suitable for e2e (not chartered),
     per aggregate suitable for PCN domain

previous work in 3SM on core-based marking frequency reduction.
Marked-flow termination exactly same whether marking freq reduction
at edge or core - same knob in both cases. Mechanism self-corrects so
invariant to many system parameters (see papers for which parameters
are important and have an impact). Severe overload and packet loss
missing in this study, but important and needs quantifying.
[BB]: Important decision for group: Do we put marking freq reduction
on core routers or at the edge. Did this study show there was any
statistical difference?
[MM]: Managed to design system so termination behaviour is exactly
the same. Pointed out differences: Core-based allows for
anti-cheating control at the borders. However, edge better control on
termination process because
- termination behaviour independent of different packet frequencies
(packet sizes) so we get better fairness
- can apply policy control to flow termination.

[GK/MM]: Repeated exchange above about packet losses.
[GK]: Only 20% of the 110% over link usage, resulting in 10% of the
re-routed flows will reach the termination decision point.  Hence the
termination decision operation will be very slow.
[GK]: Could be a lot slower
[MM]: May be 2 s instead of 100ms
[GK]: 1 min
[MM]: no (chuckling)

o LC-PCN                                       Georgios Karagiannis   20 min
   draft-westberg-pcn-load-control-03
====================================
Slides: <http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/slides/pcn-1.pdf>
Acknowledged Lars Westberg, Anurag Bhargava, Attila Bader.
Load Controlled LC-PCN
Presentation summary:
LC-PCN provides solutions to the 3 main issues:
* AC
   - Data marking
   - Probing (solves ECMP during AC)
   - Combination of both
* Flow termination
   - Base mode
   - optimization mode
* ECMP solutions
   - AC - using probing
   - FT - using affected Marking

ECMP problem outlined (see slide)
ECMP AC solution:
- if interior node congested, then all probe packets must be marked
- problem: with ER marking not all packets marked
   - solution: use router alert option so interior nodes know it's a
probe packet and mark it always if rate is above admission threshold

Raj Jain [RJ], Washington Uni: If probes special they could be small
so many more could be handled than data packets. They need not have
single bit, but could contain fields to carry more information from
the congested nodes.
[GK]: next slide explains this.

Lars Eggert [LE]: Brought up on list: Because ECMP not standardised,
don't know whether router alert will make probe could go through slow
path and not see ECMP - we don't know. Might take a different path.
Could work but we don't know that.
[GK]: That's True

Phil Eardley [PE]: Two points on one slide. Other point is correct
(all probes must be marked). But an operator might just implement Ac
and not FT and hence may not choose SM as the algo for 2 codepoint
solution. May possibly do something else for Flow Termination.
[LE]: In that case, should use the SHOULD and not MUST words.

[GK (realising answer to Raj's question is not on next slide, but continued)]:
Probes must have same flow ID as user packets so they will be treated
same as user packets.
[LE]: But you don't know that (repeating point above) so can't depend
on this behaviour.
[GK]: This could be different for RFC3175 where e2e RSVP path is used
with a different protocol ID and aggregation level 0. I'm not sure
how it works but it might be that the RSVP path is not taken out of
the fast path.
[LE]: Problem: no standard that says router alert packets must take
same path as normal packets.
[SB]: Isn't it a problem is RSVP PATH messages (and the reserve state
they pin in the other direction) aren't on the same path as the data flow?
[BB]: I thought, if PCN being used, RSVP turned off on interior
nodes, so RSVP would just be treated as data
[GK]: True
[BB]: (but may have different addresses)
[ACh]: At least two reasons that might make this not work: i) Router
alert as we've heard. ii) If probes have different protocol ID, ECMP
will likely treat them different to data
[KG]: Might work if RSVP run on top of UDP, otherwise a problem.

ECMP & flow termination
-----------------------
Aim: Only flows passing thru congested nodes marked for termination

When PCN interior node in flow termination state, all packets not
marked for termination are marked as AfM. Need extra encoding state
with ECMP: AfM
Egress can only select flows marked for termination or AfM

Parameters globally equal across PCN domain U,N .ge. 1 (see draft)
N is proportionality between measured and marked excess rate. N can
be used to solve the previously mentioned problem (loss of marked
packets), when node congested, can mark all the rate that is
congested, even the rate that will be dropped. When ECMP isn't
supported only uses one encoding state. But for optimisation
accuracy, some things have to be changed. Eg. marked excess rate =
measured excess rate / N. Measured before dropping, marked after
dropping. And PCN mark-encoded packets should not be preferentially dropped.

[ACh]: LC-PCN identical to SM, but with one big, important exception.
SM looks at unmarked packet at edge, LC looks at marked packets, so
dropping preference for marked packets has to be reversed.
[GK]: Yup

Flow termination
- Basic mode as described
- Optimization mode: uses sliding window to allow for delays between
measurements on egress & ingress nodes,

Optimization mode on interior nodes (see slides or draft for state
diagram & state change events, & algos)
[BB]: Are you saying this would need to be standardised, or that this
is something people can choose to do?
[GK]: That the algorithm works and accuracy can be improved.

Detection of AC identical to SM draft
AC with probing at egress based deterministically on marking of
probes (to solve ECMP)

Flow termination identical to SM
Egress node state diag & state change events (see slide)

Ingress nodes easy (obvious)

Probes can be user or signalling. Repeated other previous facts about probes.

Summary
LC-PCN at ingress:
- Different to SM
LC-PCN at interior:
- Admission control with data marking:
   - Same as SM draft, but to increase accuracy small modifications needed
   - Admission control with probing (additional option to solve ECMP)
- Flow termination:
   - Base mode, same as features used in admission control with data marking
   - Optimization mode (optional feature that is required in order
toincrease accuracy of algorithm)
   - ECMP solution (additional and optional feature that requires a
flow termination state and additional encoding state)
LC-PCN at Egress:
- Admission control with data marking: identical to SM
- Admission control with probing (additional option used to solve ECMP problem)
- Flow termination:
   - Detection feature: identical to SM
   - Selection of the flows to be terminated: different than SM
   - Feedback to ingress: different than SM
   - ECMP solution (additional and optional feature)

Why is this presentation done here?
Insight into solutions provided by LC-PCN
Show how close LC-PCN is to SM

o Discuss encoding options                                   Moncaster  40 min
   (Carried forward from Tuesday session)
====================================
Slides not yet available on the meeting materials site, but the
attachment to Toby's posting to the PCN list should be useful:
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pcn/current/msg01285.html>
(Windows users will have to force a .bin file to be read by their
Acrobat Reader)

Intent: Wrap up encoding discussion from previous mtg (bumped from
Tuesday's agenda) trying to reach consensus on encoding questions.
Need to have been following list - moving rapidly this week.

Two basic options:
2-state solution for single marking

Proposal: standardise 2-state solution and simultaneously produce
experimental extension scheme providing for a 3-state solution. If
expt successful and lots of operators require it, then we'll come
back with the aim of standardising a 3-state solution.

Constraints
- need to minimise no's of standards space DSCPs
- avoid interactions with tunnels
- comply with relevant RFCs

Probably got agreement from Fred Baker that it would be appropriate
for PCN to use the VOICE-ADMIT DSCP he has in tsvwg last call
(draft-ietf-tsvwg-admitted-dscp-03) - may or may not be standardised
(with that name).

New scheme on list from Toby & Bob Briscoe - v young
* Basic scheme using one DSCP (Fred's VOICE-ADMIT)
   - Not-ECT     = Not-PCN, ie treat as for Fred's draft,
           and not a candidate for PCN-marking
   - ECT         = PCN-capable but Not Marked (NM)
   - CE  = PCN-capable and Excess-rate marked (ERM)
* Extended scheme to allow experiments with 3 marking states and e2e ECN
   - Any packet with VOICE-ADMIT DSCP would mean the same as the basic scheme,
     except:
     o ECT       = PCN-capable but NM
                   and originally ECT before entering this PCN domain
   - Another DSCP (initially from the LU/EXP range) would be give 3
extra states
     o Not-ECT   = PCN-capable but NM
                   and originally Not-ECT before entering this PCN domain
     o ECT       = PCN-capable but NM
                   and originally CE before entering the PCN domain
     o CE        = PCN-capable and Threshold marked

Possible state transitions are given in the slide

Two possible consensus questions

Q. Can you live with only standardising a 2 codepoint solution?
[BB]: I assume you mean initially standardising, not for ever?
Q. Can you live with only initially standardising a 2 encoding state solution?
[Chair]: encoding states not codepoints
Q. Can you live with only initially standardising a 2 encoding state solution?
[LE?]: (inaudible)

[Chair]: As an initial standardisation effort for PCN, will people be
not violently unhappy if we only pursue to standardising a solution
that uses 2 encoding state solution
[Chair]: Show of hands

[Chair]: 8 for - 0 against - rough consensus

Q. Do you agree that we should simulataneously aim to produce a 3
encoding state solution as an experimental extension

[GK]: I don't understand what exactly the experimental extension includes?
[LE]: Motivation: Feedback from some operators says minimising DSCPs
is a must. But some of the schemes have a creative interpretation of
what a codepoint means. Some do hop-by-hop marking, which some people
say is outside what Diffserv would allow you to do, while others say
that's not the case. but it appears better to consume fewer
codepoints. There is also this range, not only experimental but local
use (EXP/LU) that are defined by the Diffserv RFC. So the proposal is
that if a standards track codepoint is used to provide a minimum set
of PCN functionality, especially if we use the codepoint being
defined in tsvwg, which you've called VOICE-ADMIT but the title is
actually Capacity Admitted traffic. So the experiment will be to see
if operators would rather make the tradeoff of consuming an extra
codepoint to get an accurate solution, or whether they be willing to
have a less accurate solution so they could use the codepoint for
something else.
Later on, if we've gotten some deployment experience, if many
operators have shown they want the more accurate PCN scheme, we've
then got stronger argument to take to the wider community to get an
extra codepoint for PCN.
[GK]: OK
[GK]: Another question that would arise: where detection and handling
functionalities could be located (ingress or egress)
[TM]: That is irrelevant to this question (interrupted)...
[Chair]: Not trying to rule out any particular edge arrangement, not
deciding which of the 3-state schemes we might use
[GK]: Do you agree that another question would be should we have two
3-state solutions?
[Chair]: True
[GK]: A third question could be whether we optimise ingress-based
functions and another question could be whether we optimise
egress-based functions
[PE]: Clarifying question: Do you mean you want a question on whether
we have 2 experimental DSCPs?
[GK]: That's not how I understand it
[Chair]: I'm trying to avoid the ambiguous term codepoint and use
only encoding states

Q2: Do we agree that we should do some work to produce at least one
experimental extension that will use at least three encoding states?
[Chair]: Show of hands (some confusion broke out)
[Chair]: Before we call it again, any questions on that question

[BB]: To clarify what Lars said, rather than getting another DSCP, we
might instead have enough weight to go to the Security area and get
the ECN tunnelling behaviour fixed to give us more encoding states in
the ECN field.

[Chair]: Let's just stick with encoding states and leave the details out.
Q. Do we agree as a w-g, that we should do work on experimental
extensions that would utilise at least 3 encoding states?
[Chair]: Show of hands

[Chair]: 9 for - 0 against

[SB]: Think phrased it vaguely enough to not preclude what you,
Georgios, are suggesting. Are you happy with that?
[GK]: (interrupted...)
[LE]: Let me summarise consensus in a different way to see if you
still agree with it:
[Chair]: OK
[LE]: As I understand it, the consensus is there will be a stds track
RFC with an encoding state that PCN compliant implementations MUST
use. There'll be a 2nd document that is likely going to be an
experimental document (sorry, one or more experimental documents but
at least one), that uses another encoding state that is optional to
implement. That means that if an operator decides to deploy the
experiment, they need to purchase equipment that implements that extension.
[PE]: You've only talked about encoding states, not the marking
behaviours they imply. I agree when you're just talking about
encoding states, but if you also link that into saying something
about marking behaviours, then I'm not sure I would agree.
[Chair]: Anna's next presentation will talk about an emerging
consensus amopngst propoers on core marking behaviours, so can we
defer that discussion until after her presentation?
[LE]: OK

[Chair]: Anyone object to Lars's restatement of the consensus?
(no-one)

o PCN Comparison draft-charny-pcn-comparison-00            Anna Charny  20 min
====================================
Slides: <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/slides/pcn-6.pdf>

Presentation summary:

Comparison draft - slides not really going to describe that -
describe emerging consensus.
Work not just of comparison draft authors but most of proposal authors
Comparison draft created for last IETF. Functional comparison.
Simulations comparing proposals. Included pseudo-code monstrosity
encompassing all core marking proposals (CL, SM & 3SM). Some now obsolete.

Developments since: MM's edge-based marked flow termination
LC-PCN clarification and evolution - essentially we have another
proposal - also described.

Given the drastic reduction in encoding states due to tunnelling, I
will try to reflect emerging consensus.
Try to describe what will be lost with only SM.
Will not compare proposals, which is what the comparison draft is
supposed to be about. See inidividual drafts and the comparison draft itself.

If we assume we have only 2 encoding states, we have 3 options: only
admission, only termination or both.
If we allow option of both, then whatever proposal is put forward for
standard marking, we must support SM. Not strictly correct, because
LC-PCN also only uses 2 states but the point is SM is the core of
both proposals. So, given it looks like we will go forward with more
sophisticated proposals as an experimental track, as a result, any
proposal to go forward must support SM.
We must describe the boundary behaviours for whatever solution comes
up, but, although we'll try not to constrain anything too much,
whatever we describe must not break SM, unless or until other better
schemes can be offered. However, we want to try to keep door open as
possible, given constraints to other proposals

If we only have 2 encoding states, what is lost if we have AC only,
or termination only? Obviously the other.
Also need to add configuration about which one you are using. Need to
support SM as the core.

Not clear to me that anything else is lost if we did just termination
or just admission.
[PE]: In your phrase "If we want both", does 'we' mean an operator,
it doesn't mean the w-g?
[ACh]: Whatever the w-g does, it needs to know which of the two options to go.

[LE]: Also, if we do only either one, losing some ability to control
each function: e.g might get into termination state more often if
don't do admission
[ACh]: Right.
Implicit assumption that there is enough interest in having both AC &
FT. If that's not the case, a lot of the things I'm going to say will
become irrelevant.

Assuming SM must be supported, must have ER metering & marking

[GK]: I'd like to allow optimisation just presented
[ACh]: Slides assume not, but will talk about that later

Other things core node should do
- if arriving packet already excess-rate marked, then don't meter
- any arriving packets already excess-rate marked should be
preferentially dropped if drop required
- if metered packet is dropped, don't excess rate meter it

Other things that must be defined
- egress to ingress (& possibly PDP) messages contain:
   - CLE
   - sustainable rate
   - (optional) rate to terminate
   - (optional) ingress sending rate
- Boundary node behaviours to be specified
   - implicit assumption SM will be the initial behaviour, but more
may be defined

What has been lost?
- Req of pref dropping excess-marked packet is problematic for 3SM,
EMFT & PC-PCN
   - Limits possibility of defining simpler edge behaviours.
   - And very suboptimal for LC-PCN
- This proposal limits possibilities of optimisations at core nodes,
effectively ignoring all of those in LC-PCN. That needs to be
discussed whether this is alright. Reasons:
- Requires core complexity
- Insufficient simulation evidence of benefit of these core optimisations

[GK]: Would like option of including that later
[ACh]: Stds track marking behaviour can't have a SHOULD, must have a
MUST. So need evidence that optimisation necessary
[GK]: Evidence is there in papers
[ACh]: Evidence you're referring to is for a diff algo
[GK]: But similar, the way it terminates flows is exactly the same
[ACh]: Need stronger evidence for a MUST, not a SHOULD
[GK]: Well I do not agree with that (shrug)

Other sacrifice is performance:
- small no. of flows per IEA - not an infrequent case at all
- some perf degradation for multiple bottlenecks on path
   - see following presentation
- No ECMP solution (needs a further encoding state), so only way to
deal with ECMP is probing. But we don't know how to do probing well.
SM suboptimal for support of probing because it needs more probes
than other methods
- For termination, SM doesn't have enough hooks to stop some flows on
path being terminated that are above their admission but below
termination theshold
- doesn't allow simpler edge implementations possibly afforded by 3SM
& EMFT solutions

[LE]: Clarification question: Which of these limitations cannot be
addressed by some amount of over-provisioning?
[ACh]: None cannot be addressed by some amount of over-provisioning,
will be addressed in SM presentation

[MM]: Probing to find edge nodes - hard to do admission control
without it - cannot be solved
[ACh]: Are you saying probing is needed for address discovery?
[MM]: N
[Ach]: OK
[MM]: Other methods are required
[ACh]: Probing never been assumed to be that method
[GK]: egress behaviour not good for LC-PCN - extensibility is
important, eg end-edge or centralised scenarios
[ACh]: Two things that prevent PC-PCN solution: i) absence of core
optimisation. Dropping of SM not good for LC-PCN
[GK]: Also not good for SM
[AC]: What?
[GK]: Repeated point about dropped packets from previous presentations
[ACh]: No. See email I sent this morning - two examples you gave are
not correct for SM
Chair: Take that offline
Chair: You're going to say what you don't get with SM, so we won't
have consensus calls until after that
[BB]: To answer Lars's question:
       - ECMP problems of SM wouldn't be solved by overprovisioning
       - We don't have a way to go to multiple non-trusting domains
with SM, which wouldn't be solved by overprovisioning either

Previous slide said core must do ER marking. Where does that leave ThM marking?
Core MUST do threshold marking if want to expt with 3 states
or if we want to allow just admission - the 2 state solution no
longer allows doing just AC with ThM. So this proposal eliminates that option.

[PE]: Uncomfortable about operator not being able to do AC with PCN
and termination with something else. And to be able to do that with
just the 2 encoding states.
[ACh]: If wanted to do only AC, would either have to i) say MUST do
both marking behaviours, or allow a SHOULD, which we've previously
said was not OK for LC_PCN or iii) we can say EITHER/OR at which
point we have an interoperability (?) problem. So we have to decide.
[LE]: We can't have a SHOULD. Need to have 2 MUSTS, otherwise
equipment can't interoperate in one domain. While if you have
equipment that implements the two MUSTS you can configure it to do either one.

[GK]: Repeated 2 things Anna stated this proposal ignores.
[ACh]: Agreed. These this proposal ignores these two things so there
would obviously need to be consensus to do that.
[GK]: If these two are ignored, then an egress-based solution will
not be possible.
[ACh]: Correct. It will require another standard to do that. it will
not be possible if we go with any of the three proposals we just
discussed, whether we do a MUST to both ThM & ERM then (interrupted...)
[GK]: Yes, but 3SM and flow marked solution do not work
[ACh]: That was in the previous slide (interrupted...)
[GK]: Does this mean the egress-based solutions are excluded from now?
[ACh]: No what it means (interrupted...)
[??]: No, that's what it means
[ACh]: So, what it means (interrupted...)
[GK]: It indirectly means egress-based solutions are excluded
[ACh]: No.
[GK]: Why not?
[ACh]: What it means is any egress-based solution that would work
with egress-based termination would work
[GK]: But doesn't work well.
[ACh]: I think we're in agreement, that some of the schemes that do
egress-rate termination do not work well. So in order to reach
consensus we need to make some sacrifices (interrupted...)
[GK]: Yes, but in order to do sacrifices (interrupted...)
[ACh]: I'm trying to simply say what the sacrifices are (interrupted...)
[GK]: Yes, but in order to do sacrifices we have to have the right
information, and if we don't have the right information we should get
it. If we take a wrong decision now then we'll have to change a lot
of things later.
[ACh]: You're point is taken, there are some solutions that are
precluded by this proposal.

[Chair]: OK
[ACh]: What do we need to do?
- Which 2 state solution to pursue (3 options)?
- Agree on specific encoding - not the point of this presentation
- Once agree, need to write draft
- Need to specify the signalling requirements for whatever we agree on
- Write boundary behaviour

o Single Marking                                          Anna Charny   20 min
   draft-charny-pcn-single-marking-03
   draft-zhang-pcn-performance-evaluation-02
====================================
Slides: <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/slides/pcn-7.pdf>
Acknowledged Joy Zhang
Presentation summary:
Single marking poor compared to CL for small aggregates, wrt
admission but particularly termination. Also somewhat worse than CL
terminating in the presence of overload at multiple bottlenecks in series.

Single marking generally comparable with CL for large IEAs
Of course, can never check every case no matter how many simulations,
but some comfort in that these simulations were run to find how bad
SM was relative to CL, not how good it is.
* AC: SM has significant AC error only when IEA v low < 10 flow/IEA
due to synch effects with CBR. Effect disappears with enough
randomization of CBR

[BB]: When BT put a typical distribution of sizes of aggregates for
their UK core network on the list, a very large proportion of
aggregates were small, because, with 100 edge nodes, there are 10,000
possible aggregates and the distribution is long tailed with most
aggregates empty.
Is it any different to the 'low' figure you have mentioned here,
where your 'low' means <10 flow/IEA.
[ACh]: Answer not from simulations, but from intuition gained from
simulations. If all of these little aggregates take a relatively
small proportion of your bottleneck link, that actually will not be a
big deal. However, if these small aggregates take a large proportion
of the aggregate link, then this problem well become (significant).
But I don't know which of the cases will be more reasonable.
[BB]: So what if IEA was 2, which it was in a many, many cases?
[ACh]: The rightmost side of the plot is where there are as many
flows as aggregates, so that's the case you're concerned about.
[BB]: Where the black (CBR) plot goes off the (over-admission) scale?
[ACh]: Y.

* FT: Again, over-termination with SM, again, due to uneven marking
across flows which is noticeable when there are few flows per IEA.
Degree of IE aggregation SM needs for < 10% over-termination is ~50
to ~150 Flow/IE, whereas CL is generally always within 10% for any size IEA.
Emphasise that these are truly the worst of the simulations we could find.
Can fix by smoothing FT signal, but trades off reaction time.
Simulation did not assume smoothing.

* Multi-bottlenecks in series problem:
   - FT: Charts represent average of many thousands of simulations.
CL stays within 10% (and most below 4% error), while SM has a good
proportion still in the 10-20% error range.
   - AC: SM & CL fairly equivalent in this respect. Fairness slightly
worse with SM, but not at all significant.

sufficient meaning:
   - ~10 or more flows wrt AC
   - 10-100 flows wrt FT.
- At low ingress-egress aggregation, Single-Marking is less accurate
(over-admission & over-termination)
- In the presence of multiple bottleneck, Single-Markingtermination
performs worse than CL-PHB

[GK]: Before freezing the behaviour of the core node I'd like to have
the possibility to prove the the LC-PCN mechanism works.
[ACh]: So what are you asking? To delay the decision? The only
decision is what exactly the core node function includes.
[GK]: The decision is single marking, that is already taken.
[ACh]: That's a decision for the chairs.
[GK]: If the LC-PCN optimisation is included, the SM functionality
will not be affected by it.

[Chair]: I'm in process of formulating a question for the w-g.
Something I omitted to say earlier. There may be IPR on some of the
proposals before this w-g, and I encourage you to go look at the IETF
IPR pages and review those IPR disclosures. Is this a satisfactory
statement for the ADs?
[LE]: Y

[BB]: Coming back on what Georgios said, the longer there's delay
less chance of implementers still being around. The whole thing
requires doing in a finite amount of time otherwise it will never
happen. We're already 6 months late, so we need to be aware that if
we delay it may never happen.
[GK]: The delay will only be 2 months. And the delay will not be a
delay, because we already have made the decision to use single
marking. The only decision is if the MUST should be a SHOULD or not.
I'm not asking for another option. If I can prove the LC-PCN
mechanism works then the egress-based functionality could work, then
we can set the SHOULD to a MUST. Then if it doesn't let it stay as SHOULD.
[ACh]: This proposal has been made in view of the fact that there
seems ot be no more time doing the research in this group. We need to
look at the existing proposal today to have a chance of anything
happening. The reason this proposal came about was so that something
was available now.
[PE]: My view would be that we go forward, then in 2 months time if
you bring evidence that yor idea brings us loads, 2 months is not
going to be too late to say we gain all this by doing your proposal.
But I think we've got ample evidence now to know what direction we
should take now. The problem of waiting 2 months is that we will
still be arguing at that point whether we have enough evidence on
your proposal to make a decision.
[GK]: I think I've been misunderstood. We have made certain decisions
(interrupted...)
[ACh]: We haven't made any decisions (interrupted...)
[Chair]: Reiterate that we've only made 2 decisions on encoding state
aspects so far
[LE]: We haven't reached consensus on router behaviour, how exactly
it marks packets which is still open, which is what we're discussing that now.
[GK]: We have the single marking behaviour
[PE]: We haven't had a consensus call on the single marking behaviour
[GK]: Yes, I know. But this has not to do with gain, it has to do
with extensibility.
[ACh]: I would propose to delay the discussion until there is
evidence, and when there is evidence we can revisit the decisions.
Today there is no evidence and we are running out of time.
[GK]: In the formulation of the question can we have this opening?

Chair: Does w-g feel they have enough info to come to some conclusion
about a way forward here at this time?
[Chair]: Show of hands

[Chair]: 6 for - 1 against

[Chair]: Proposal by Anna for a 2 encoding state solution that we
could move to standardise thats based on a type of excess-rate marking

[ACh]: To be clear, the proposal is that the core does excess rate
marking (interrupted...)
[Chair]: In a particular way...
[ACh]: No, just using a standard token bucket, but with the specific
additions of how already marked packets are handled
[Chair]: Right
[PE]: Pls clarify exactly what the question.

[Chair]: There is a proposal on the table for excess rate marking
which has specifics about how previoiusly marked packets and dropped
packets are handled. And the question is, who in the w-g believes
that is a reasonable path to move forward on, so that we can empower
a design team to go write that up in the direction of becoming a w-g
doc for a standardised solution? ... I probably should re-phrase that
a little bit

[PE]: I'm very comfortable with having that in std as a MUST. My
question will be then whether there will be an opportunity for
anything else to be in the std as a MUST, ie threshold marking. Or
whether, in that question you're saying that would be in an
experimental RFC or if that is also in the stds RFC, and then you
have this configuration thing.

[LE]: Let me try to rephrase the options. Earlier we had a call on
whether we have a two state standards option with a three state
experimental extension. Now we're talking about how these bits get set.
- One algorithm option: Single MUST algo to do excess rate marking
and that is the only thing that a router needs to implement to be a
PCN-compatible router.
- Other algorithm option: Add another MUST that say eg. you can
configure router to set those same bits
Keeping in mind that having a long shopping list of options on
marking schemes in a router defeats the purpose of standardising PCN,
because it allows the space to fragment and everyone gets their own
scheme again, which is something we wanted to avoid.
- One scheme we thrashed out this morning was that the router MUST
implement ThM as well as ERM, and it can be configured for AC without
FT, so for a deployment scenario you use the ThM to set the two
encoding states rather than the ERM. That's one option. That seems
relatively simple, but it's already twice as complex as having one
mandatory to implement scheme.
[ACh]: That would mean that each router that claims compatibility
with PCN and is used in the single marking case is actually required
to implement something else - just to clarify?
[LE]: Would need to implement two marking algorithms. Yes. That would
be one proposal.  Rationale: All expt schemes need ThM of some type,
so could have 2 MUSTs. However that's up for discussion.
[ACh]: The drawback would be that fewer vendors would be interested
in implementing that.
[LE]: Sure. It's a tradeoff
[GK]: Could the optional points related to egress-based termination
also be included in an extension draft?
[LE]: Personal (hat off) interpretation. When we chartered PCN, there
were multiple solutions that all required different marking schemes.
Not good, as a vendor it required you to implement multiple things. 4
schemes instead of one. Or 5 or 6. For interior we wanted one
solution that allowed multiple ingress-egress behaviours. With
informational documents that might discuss how you implement
different ingress-egress schemes using the one interior behaviour. If
we talk about many interior schemes, especially many schemes with
interior complexity, we would be in effect standardising multiple
solutions here. That I would personally like to avoid because then,
why do we have the w-g? There would be no need to standardise
anything if you have could have had all the options long before with
proprietary solutions.
[ACh]: Propose a sequence of questions to get us out of this.
What if we ask whether: There is consensus that this kind of marking
is required for PCN first.
Then we can ask whether, at a later point, if there is evidence that
hte additional enhancements that Georgios is proposing are beneficial
then we'll revisit that.
Third question: Must we also require implementation of threshold
marking initially.
[LE]: THe beginning questions are good. I'd like to caution that the
motivation for allowing multiple schemes must be more than that you
don't want to see your baby die.
[GK]: But it's about where the flow termination is actually handled
[ACh]: But we're not discussing that.
[GK]: No, but it's related to what Lars just said.
[ACh]: This has nothing to do with the core behaviour.
[GK]: The difference is not about performance, because I think the SM
performance (interrupted...)
[LE]: If performance is not the reason, why does it matter where
functionality sits?
[GK]: It has to do with deployment scenarios - if we want to deploy
FT at the egress, because there are some scenarios e.g. centralised
node that is using using the information from only one point. And the
other scenario where you have end-edge, if we close it now then if we
recharter there will be no chance to work on these things.
[ACh]: Georgios, there is no evidence today for what you're saying
right now. If this evidence comes up, can we revisit then? if you
want the centralised node case, that still doesn't matter if you make
the decision at the ingress. I don't know about the end-edge case
because we haven't discussed that. This might come up in the future.
[GK]: That's why it's called extensibility, no?

[LE?]: You (Anna) were going to ask a question.
[ACh]: So I'm going to ask a question. Does the w-g agree that the
core behaviour described today which is essentially
token-bucket-based excess rate marking with additional handling of
excess-rate marked packets is a MUST for the PCN core node behaviour?
[PE]: That depends whether by saying that, that's it.
[ACh]: other question that could be asked first: Does the w-g believe
that the equipment must be forced to implement two types of markings today?
[MM]: I think it is a must for preferential treatment and single
marking to work properly. Iit would be a good to have an option, not
to require, preferential marking for experimental development.
[ACh]: If a SHOULD were allowed in the standard, I would be happy to
have a SHOULD for this preferential treatment, but I don't know
whether we're allowed to put a SHOULD in.
[LE]: I would really like the option space to be very, very small
here, because we can't have 20 different marking schemes.
[ACh]: Actually the SHOULD in this case (interrupted...)
[LE]: Actually you're second question is imprecise, because two
doesn't say what the other one is.
[ACh]: Threshold marking, as defined by Phil in his presentation
yesterday, which means roughly virtual-queue based marking.

[LE]: Q1 Do people agree whether ERM is a MUST
[ACh]: And the 2nd question is whether ThM is also a MUST. But Phil
wants the 2nd question asked first.
[PE]: I don't mind as long as (interrupted...)

[BB]: I want to put my dilemma to the w-g, because I don't how to
answer these questions because neither give what I'm looking for but
I can't think of another way of doing it. The problem is all these
schemes eventually will need two sorts of marking, given the evidence
shows SM has problems, but I'd like there to be two MUSTs. But I
don't want that to mean an implementer has to say, I can't sell a
machine that does PCN now because it won't comply with the standard,
because I can only do SM now with my current hardware.
[ACh]: So the tradeoff again is if we ask both now, we have immediate
capability to do experimentation with any PCN implentation, but it
then requires every router to implement this functionality, even
though the use of this extra marking is experimental.
[BB]: It doesn't require every router to do it. It requires every
router to do it to be PCN-compatible.
[ACh]: Right, right, right. Every router that is required to do
anything for PCN would be required to do something that is
experimental and not standard. To me that's a bit of a problem. I
would prefer that all the MUSTs for the experimental scheme would go
into the experimental standard.
[BB]: But then you've got configuration complexity later.
[ACh]: Right, right, right.
[LE]: When we say MUST, we mean must implement to be be minimally
PCN-compliant.
[ACh]: Yes, that's the proposal.

[GK]: I didn't see the third question.
[Chair]: I'll let you ask the question

[Chair]: Questions will be about Excess rate, then the 2 MUSTs, then
Georgios's question.

[ACh]: Does the w-g agree that a PCN-compatible node must implement
excess-rate marking with additional handling of previoiusly marked
packets as described in this presentation?
[Chair]: Show of hands

8 for - 0 against

[ACh]: Does the w-g think that a minimal PCN-compatibility statement
will say you must also implement threshold marking?
[Chair]: Show of hands

6 for - 1 against

[GK]: Actually it's the first question but having some time to bring
some evidence to show whether LC-PCN is able to perform well in an
egress-based scenario.
[Chair]: I don't understand - would that preclude doing ERM in the core?
[GK]: I'm not sure if the question included the exact description of
how it was done here in the slides.
[Chair]: Of how excess rate marking is performed?
[GK]: How the token bucket is implemented

[LE]: (to GK) assuming you get time, what is the question you will ask then?

(Audio recording terminated)

[GK]: Is it reasonable to include the additional optimisations of
excess-rate marking in the standard?
[BB]: Will it interwork with the details we have just agreed to?
[GK]: Not sure.
[LE?]: If evidence is produced before IETF-72 that there is an
improved way, would w-g entertain replacing our standards work on the algo?
[Chair]: Show of hands

2 for - 0 against

o A Simple Analytical Model for Pre-Congestion Notification  Raj Jain   20 min
====================================
Slides: <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/slides/pcn-2.pdf>
Acknowledged Jin Jiang
Summary of presentation:

Simulation set-up using single bottleneck. See slides for further details.

Flow acceptance probability still significant when 10% over theshold
If Admission & termination thresholds close enough, termination
probability 5% when admission probability is also 5%: leads to thrashing.

Propose thrashing index based on max product of probabiltity of
admission and of simultaneous termination.
[BB]: indices are oft-quoted, so need to get them right. Shouldn't it
be area, not just height of the product of probabilities curve?
[RJ]: Could have another index

Using x% termination threshold (over admission threshold), makes
significant difference to thrashing index
Log curve of thrashing index shows highly significant drop in
thrashing as thresholds moved apart (see slides).
If flows are on more often, then have to set termination threshold
higher (see slide)
For larger capacity links, termination threshold can be set closer

Summary
1. A closed form expression for flow rejection probability and flow
termination probability for single marker case
2. The model explains the thrashing behaviour when the system reaches
rejection /termination threshold region
3. Thrashing Index = Max{P(Acceptance)xP(Termination)}
4. The termination threshold should be set 10-15% above rejection
theshold to avoid thrashing
5. The difference can be less if the number of flows is larger (large
capacity links) or if the flow on probability is smaller (inactive flows).

[BB]: Suggested 6th summary point: criterion for judging Th marking
algos, how tightly they approach a step to reduce thrashing index.

W-g meeting closed (20-odd mins late)

Scribe: Bob Briscoe