Re: [PCN] Consensus questions: Q4, Q5, and Q6

Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de> Mon, 21 April 2008 17:32 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:31:20 +0200
From: Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: philip.eardley@bt.com
Cc: pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] Consensus questions: Q4, Q5, and Q6
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Phil,

as your analysis showed, CL/SM require preferential dropping of marked
packets. Other termination methods required preferential marking of
unmarked packets. If PCN marking should be optimized for CL/SM at the
expense of other solutions, preferential dropping of marked packets it
the way to go. But this kind of marking is hardly of any use for other
termination methods in challenging situations.

So, if other solutions should not be excluded, preferential dropping of
unmarked packets is also required as an option. Then it is probably also
wise to have another option that does not do any preferential drop. The
decision on preferential dropping limits the potential use of PCN
marking or the number of architectural options.

Regards,

    Michael

philip.eardley@bt.com wrote:
> On the subject of Qu 4:
> Don't want to re-open this question, but I thought a bit more at the
> preferential dropping issue, ie if a PCN-node is overloaded and has to
> drop PCN-packets, should it preferentially drop any that are already
> PCN-marked (PCN-excess-rate-marked) - or preferentially drop ones that
> are not marked - or just randomly drop. (The first of these is where the
> WG consensus lies, and is also where this email ends up.)
>
> The preferential dropping behaviour matters when there's at least one
> pre-congested node 'before' the overloaded node ("two bottlenecks")
>
> The ideal answer depends on what the edge behaviour is:
> *	the CL/SM edge mechanism measures the sustainable rate (the rate
> of unmarked pkts), and terminates rate above this. So ideally PCN-nodes
> should preferentially drop pkts that already PCN-(termination-)marked,
> otherwise too much PCN-traffic will be terminated if there are two
> bottlenecks.
> *	The excess rate & EMFT mechanisms measure (react to) PCN-marked
> pkts. So ideally PCN-nodes should preferentially drop pkts that not
> PCN-(termination-)marked, otherwise PCN-traffic will be terminated
> slower if there are two bottlenecks.
>
> However, it would be good if the PCN-node behaviour allowed some
> flexibility in terms of the edge behaviour (at least we seem to have
> been implicitly assuming this). Their pros/cons are:
> *	CL/SM edge behaviour: can terminate the right amount in a single
> shot (but can also terminate slower, if that's preferred); requires one
> msg from egress to ingress to indicate termination; but has to measure
> rates at both egress and ingress
> *	Excess rate: in general terminates slower & so requires several
> msgs; requires rate measurement at the egress but not ingress
> *	EMFT: doesn't need to measure any rate, but terminates slower
> and needs a msg for each flow that's terminated
>
> Consider two cases in more detail. [1] the operator sets the
> PCN-upper-rate at 95% of PCN-max-rate; [2] the operator sets the
> PCN-upper-rate at 50% of PCN-max-rate There's the PCN-upper-rate above
> which pkts are PCN-excess-rate-marked and the PCN-max-rate above which
> PCN-pkts are dropped.
>
> For case [1], with a single bottleneck that's overloaded (say at 5*
> PCN-max-rate), ie dropping pkts as well as marking pkts:
> *	the CL/SM edge mechanism can terminate the right amount in one
> go. Termination is just as fast as when the bottleneck is pre-congested
> but not overloaded.
> *	the excess rate mechanism measures the 5% of marked pkts. It
> terminates this amount - the link is now overloaded at 4.95*
> PCN-max-rate. This makes termination about 100* slower.
> *	With EMFT, if the edge sees a marked pkt then it terminates this
> flow with some probability. This is similar to the previous case, so
> again termination is much much slower. However, it should be possible to
> [...]

Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn